Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

container Roses

(17 Posts)
Focusfocus Thu 18-Feb-16 11:15:55

We are planning on planting some miniature climbing roses in large containers of 15 inches depth. Any ideas on what compost is best to use and what fertiliser?

I was thinking multipurpose compost and a fish blood and bone fertiliser? The roses are bare root and any tips for this novice is much appreciated!

Kr1stina Thu 18-Feb-16 12:32:51

15 inches isn't very deep - how wide are the containers ? are the supports in the pot or are the roses to climb up the wall ?

Can you post a photo ?

Which roses are they - I mean what is their name ? should be on the label

Definitely not multi purpose compost , you want a soil based compost like john innes no 2. They only need fed spring to autumn .

Focusfocus Thu 18-Feb-16 14:48:31

Thanks, there are about six different roses. Two are floribunda white roses called star abundance from harknrss roses. Two are miniature climbing roses meant for containers from stake hill nurseries called miniature sunrise and two are climbing rose masquerade from Thompson and Morgan

My plan was to use containers of this size (attached) that's the biggest I've found, it held a Christmas tree previously.

The supports are an arch which is meant to go inside the container a container each side and for he others an obelisk that also goes inside the container.

John Ines no 2 and fish blood and bone seem to be the most advised medium and fertilisers. Should I go for taller and narrower containers? They are all bare root roses

Kr1stina Thu 18-Feb-16 17:33:43

Roses are not deep rooted, but they don't like to dry out, so you need a big enough container .and you will need to water regularly . In the summer that might mean nearly every day, if it's hot and sunny .

The ones meant for containers should be fine .

I don't know R. Star abundance but the other abundance roses grow to about 70 cm or more so they will be quite big.

Kr1stina Thu 18-Feb-16 17:45:28

The secret to growing roses in containers is just to choose the right ones and look after them well.

AFAIK Rosa masquerade is a vigorous climber and therefore not suitable for a small container like that. You might get away with a half barrel , but you would need a very tall support . I don't think an obelisk in a small container would work . Did Thomson and Morgan say it was suitable?

I see you have a at least a bit of garden , so why do you want them in containers ? I think the bigger roses would be happier in the ground . When roses get stressed, they are much more prone to pests and diseases, which they are bad for anyway . So you will need to spray them, which not everyone likes to do .

Are all 6 pots the same size as the one in the photo, or do you have any larger ones ?

BYW There is some good information online about growing roses in containers .

Focusfocus Thu 18-Feb-16 17:56:36

My garden soil seems very dry and shallow really hardly that much soil so to speak sad

Kr1stina Thu 18-Feb-16 18:00:59

Ah, so you'd need to improve it a bit for roses .

How hot is it on your patio ? ( assuming that's where you are putting the pots ) .

What have you grown in pots successfully before ?

Focusfocus Thu 18-Feb-16 18:30:51

My patio is rather sunny all day pretty much. I've grown veggies very successfully before but not flowers I'm afraid in the sense that I haven't ever tried not that I've tried and failed

Focusfocus Thu 18-Feb-16 18:31:19

Thanks very much by he way for taking the time to respond !!

Kr1stina Thu 18-Feb-16 19:11:43

I see you like bright colours and there are lots of brightly coloured things that do well in hot dry conditions .All things I can't grow in my garden !

But I'm not a rose person, so hopefully some proper experts will be along soon.

Ferguson Sat 20-Feb-16 20:23:43

I think a John Innes compost might be suitable, but I don't know which; look on their web site, or on David Austin.

Focusfocus Sun 21-Feb-16 03:00:03

Have planted up the miniature patio climbing roses in massive pots. Used a mixture of John Innes No 2, well rotted farmyard manure and fish blood and bone. Have a rose feed ready to feed from spring to Autumn.

Kr1stina Sun 21-Feb-16 11:53:35

Good, I hope they are happy

I look forward to seeing your beautiful photos in the summer :-)

SmallGreenBouncyBall Sun 21-Feb-16 11:56:02

I have roses in pots that size. but they are bush roses, not climbers.
they are doing very well with common garden compost and rose feed 2x a year.

Kr1stina Sun 21-Feb-16 19:30:22

Oh these are lovely, what's their name ?

SmallGreenBouncyBall Sun 21-Feb-16 19:40:32

they are 'blue for you' a bit misleading the name but I still love the colour

Kr1stina Sun 21-Feb-16 19:57:27

I bought a lilac climbing rose ( by accident it has the wrong label ) and it was so vile I had to dig it out and give it away . 'Twas a horrid washed out grey .

But these are a lovely colour and they have photographed well .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now