Talk

Advanced search

pots of pots

(7 Posts)
chippychop Mon 15-Feb-16 19:31:59

Hello, I have about 20 or so ceramic pots of varying sizes, gathered over the years. My garden now is quite large and the smaller ones just get lost in the garden and I hate the untidyness of them (sounds nuts I know) I was going to dedicate an area at the edge of the terrace for them and group them all together, and try to stagger them in height ..what do you think? should I theme the planting too? any ideas welcomed with open arms

ABetaDad1 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:36:41

Are they tender plants in the pots that need to come indoors in winter or winter hardy?

Are the pots just red ceramic or patterned?

shovetheholly Mon 15-Feb-16 20:02:26

I know exactly what you mean - a multitude of pots of different sizes, shapes and colours can look a bit higgledy-piggledy. I've made that mistake myself!

Is there anything you can do to standardize them? For example, would painting them all one colour work? Or could you plant them all with the same kind of thing (doesn't have to be the exact same plant - could be the same genus (auriculas?) or even the same broad type e.g. alpines). Or could you put them in height order on some shelves that would help them to look more of an ensemble?

Chippychop Mon 15-Feb-16 20:18:42

about 17 pots are plain old red ceramic. I have 5 glazed ones of various colours. Most are empty now as I had annuals in last year there are some straggly bits of ivy, the odd grass in some of them. I'm not precious about them. I wouldn't mind a shot of colour as it's a bland boring bit of garden and I do love lobelia so maybe some height... I will have a look at aloines as I dont have any anywhere else.however anymore ideas v welcome! ps so glad its gardening time again

ABetaDad1 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:58:27

Mmm...my elderly next door neighbour is the same. Lots of higgledy piggedly pots and tubs.

I wonder if it isn't time for a complete garden rethink - not just the pots?

I like pots in walled backyard type gardens with hard brick paving or gravel, perhaps hanging from walls or on layered levels but not a front garden.

There are some quite inspiring idea for informal potted garden areas by googling images of backyard and plants pots.

I always think when I go to France and Italy and Spain that ordinary red as well as bright coloured ceramic pots against white walls look great.

Do you have a paved backyard or walled area you use them in?

How about using them to create a herb garden near your kitchen door?

shovetheholly Tue 16-Feb-16 09:05:59

Red ceramic.... do you mean terracotta?

Herbs are a nice idea, betadad! Especially as OP already has a kind of terrace area she could use.

ABetaDad1 Tue 16-Feb-16 14:03:29

Yes I mean terracota.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now