Talk

Advanced search

Very low pollen tree

(6 Posts)
KanyesVest Sat 13-Feb-16 15:58:08

I want to get tree but due to asthma/allergies I'm pretty restricted. I think apple trees are pretty good, but would loo d really appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks

KanyesVest Sat 13-Feb-16 15:59:50

I don't need a loo. well, I do, but that's a different thread

Schrodingersmum Sat 13-Feb-16 19:37:37

I believe the apple is related to Birch trees, certainly the advice is if you have a Birch allergy not to eat apples during tree pollen season

I am allergic to many trees but have an acer and also a cherry that cause no problems

toomuchtooold Sat 13-Feb-16 21:41:20

I have birch pollen allergy and although I am also allergic to the fruits of cherry, apricot, almond, apple and so on I have no problems with actual tree pollen other than birch. Have you definitely shown a reaction to a variety of tree pollens OP? You might not be as restricted as you think.

Otherwise it might be a matter of getting a female tree that doesn't have pollen? Not all trees have separate male and female types but those that do would suit you.

KanyesVest Sat 13-Feb-16 23:02:41

I had actually thought about and then forgotten, an Acer. I want to get a gift for a friend to mark a significant event, but her husband has severe asthma and allergies. They have pretty much nothing in their garden, can't have flowers in the house, he can't cut the grass, etc. Ideally, I'd prefer not to kill him with my gift blush

shovetheholly Mon 15-Feb-16 11:51:08

OK, I'm assuming that you are allergic to ALL tree pollen here! (As other posters have said, maybe get this checked out, from what I understand some varieties are way more allergenic than others - but I am no expert on this and everyone is different too!).

There are two main kinds of trees. Some have both male and female flowers on the same plant (monoecious). Others have male and female flowers on different plants (dioecious). You want a female dioecious tree, as this will produce no or minimal levels of pollen.

A classic example of a female dioecious tree is a holly with berries. The confusingly named Golden King is actually a female holly busy with lovely variegated foliage and bright red winter berries. However, bear in mind that you'll only get loads of berries if there is a male holly bush close by (in another garden).

Some varieties of acer are dioecious too - I think some plants of Acer rubrum 'Autumn glory' are. (And it's like fire in the autumn!)

You say you are OK around apple, which is interesting - I suspect this is because apple has proper 'flowers' with male and female parts to them - the pollen in these tends to be heavier, as it is carried by insects rather than blown around in the wind. If I'm right, then you'll also be less allergic to other trees with beautiful, large flowers - like cherries, magnolias, crab apples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now