Talk

Advanced search

what would you buy?

(3 Posts)
Donge13 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:38:28

I have been given a gift card for £70 for my local garden centre and I'm not sure what to buy.
We only have a small patio which has various pots with bulbs and flowers. Where there was space we have hanging baskets.
I really want to buy something long lasting that will grow in a pot.
So I was wondering, what would you buy?

AliceInHinterland Thu 11-Feb-16 20:46:35

An olive tree or a fig tree, nice Mediterranean vibe.

shovetheholly Fri 12-Feb-16 14:08:38

Where are you in the country? An olive or fig may struggle in cooler or wetter climes.

If you are keen on doing more gardening in future, then why not invest some of the money in equipment rather than plants. For example, if you buy some things that would help you to grow from seed then a world of growing opens to you! For example, a cheap electric or non-electric propagator will let you set a few things off indoors, while a cold frame will give you the capability to harden off seedlings. Instead of just one plant, you could literally have hundreds.

Alternatively, I'd buy something like a really nice couple of pots that I could fill with cheaper plants (the discounters are often way less expensive than garden centres) for a summer and then a winter display.

OR - you could buy a patio fruit tree. You'll need to keep it watered, but these can do quite well in pots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now