Talk

Advanced search

Dry & Shady

(3 Posts)
Tadpoletoatoad Sun 03-Jan-16 20:37:15

I'm looking for inspiration please.
I like gardening and have a fairly good back garden with lots of variety.
However, we have a patch out the front (4m x 2m) which is shaded by the house (south facing rear garden) and is quite dry (normally!).
I need ideas for all types of plants please. I don't want to fill it all but need it to look pretty and eye catching as it's the first part of the house you see as you turn into the drive. Def something for form and structure and all year appeal. Thoughts?

Unremarkable Mon 04-Jan-16 10:58:04

Plant hardy cyclamen for winter colour under something like Choisya 'White Dazzler' perhaps? Daphne has a lovely scent and can be evergreen as well. Cornus (Dog wood) has the lovely red stems in the winter but a bit dull during the summer.

If you can grow them (I've never managed!) nerines are lovely, so eye-catching and unexpected in the autumn. I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions, good luck. smile

bookbook Mon 04-Jan-16 12:50:05

There is a thread just for this question! smile
Here it is
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/gardening/2441728-Shady-characters-a-permanent-home-for-shade-garden-suggestions?msgid=57457361

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now