Talk

Advanced search

broken main branch on fan trained tree - what can I do

(6 Posts)
opioneers Sun 20-Dec-15 12:14:17

I'm gutted. Next door neighbour has been over to trim the ivy off the wall, ladder slipped. He is fine but has broken 2 out of the 5 branches of the fan trained cherry that we planted in the spring. I could cry.

The branch is torn but not completely broken. Can this be fixed, or do I just get another tree?

Ferguson Sat 26-Dec-15 18:41:48

I understand it is possible to 'rescue' branches or plants in similar situations.

Just guessing, but I expect the wounds need to be cleaned or sterilised, and treated with something to help them knit together. Suitable tape would then need to be wrapped tightly round the join, and probably something to keep it waterproofed.

It would be a similar process to grafting a rose or fruit tree onto a different rootstock I would think.

But there must be professional sites that describe care of fruit trees, so search for them putting in as much relevant detail as possible, and also indicate it is UK, as a lot of garden information comes up for USA. If you can't find anything, come back and I'll try to help you find something.

fiorentina Mon 28-Dec-15 21:45:31

There are a number of you tube videos on this topic but I cannot vouch for their success.

FATEdestiny Mon 28-Dec-15 21:55:58

sad

We broke the main branch on our passion flower that has been lovingly shaped over many years. It never recovered. Still makes me really sad 3 years later

<sigh>

opioneers Tue 29-Dec-15 11:25:21

Thanks everyone - have been away.

From what I can gather from other websites, I can fix it, but the branches won't take that much weight ever. Given that the tree has only been in a year, I think our best bet is probably to replace it now and accept that it will take a bit longer to establish.

wonkylegs Tue 29-Dec-15 11:33:26

I 'fixed' a standard tree branch that broke after a heavy snow fall. It was split 3/4 across the branch, we taped and binded it with a pair of tights (cut to length) which had enough strength but also allowed growth, it took 2 years but it healed. It's never quite had the same leaf growth as before but if you didn't know what had had happened you probably wouldn't notice.
I think we were lucky with the break position and the branch. We couldn't replace as the tree was a wedding gift so meant more than any replacement, so I figured it was worth a try and patience paid off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now