Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rescued tomato plant advice please

(5 Posts)
Leaningtoweroflisa Mon 14-Dec-15 12:01:32

I found a teeny tomato plant growing in the gravel beside my house about 6 weeks ago. I promptly uprooted and potted it up and it's been happily shooting ever upwards on a warm window sill.

It's not doing much otherwise. I'm watering and feeding it and I've grown toms in a greenhouse successfully in normal tomato growing fashion / season.

Just wondering if I should do anything else with it eg cut the top off to try to make it stop growing up and bush out?

Anyone any experience with tomato plants inside over winter - do they often fruit or is it just a slightly fragrant house plant?

Thanks!

FredaMayor Mon 14-Dec-15 12:20:12

Do you have a septic tank or a stream running through your property, OP?
Sometimes tomato seeds that have passed through the gut germinate, but they are often F1 hybrids and therefore they may not flower and produce fruit reliably.

Leaningtoweroflisa Mon 14-Dec-15 20:05:42

No, just normal gravel between house and footpath. I assumed it possibly had dropped out in some bird poop and sprouted? Unless the neighbours have been discreetly pooping there and cleaning it up!

FredaMayor Tue 15-Dec-15 12:23:27

You could always have a go, but IME unless you can provide the plant with warmth and lots of artificial light it's not worth trying to keep one tomato plant going through winter, especially if you don't know what variety it is.

Leaningtoweroflisa Tue 15-Dec-15 18:38:26

Thanks. It's in a warm spot, think the light will be the main factor. Ill give it a few more weeks... (Optimist)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now