Talk

Advanced search

spring bulbs

(8 Posts)
LBOCS2 Wed 09-Dec-15 11:11:16

Have anyone else's spring bulbs already started making an appearance? I've got a couple of pots with bulb sandwiches for last year and they're already putting out green shoots, and the ones in my raised beds are making an appearance too, including my allium. My strawberry plant has flowers on it - it all seems a bit early (and bonkers!). Will they be ok?

Also, I have a million bulbs to plant as well which I basically didn't get around to last month. Is it too late now? Or will I just get some nicely staggered flowering?

cooper44 Wed 09-Dec-15 16:13:00

some of my bulbs in pots were all sprouting a few weeks back - hopefully they will slow down/stop with some properly cold weather.
And I think it's fine to put bulbs in now - I've been doing them today and I've done them as late as Christmas before.

yankeecandle4 Wed 09-Dec-15 18:14:42

I came on just to ask this! I checked my spring planters today to see if they needed watering (they are covered) and was shocked to see a few inches of daffodil shoots.

Do we need to do anything? Mine are still covered, should I uncover them now?

florentina1 Wed 09-Dec-15 18:29:19

It is not too late. I once found bulbs in the garage in January and planted them. They all caught up with only a few weeks apart.

LBOCS2 Wed 09-Dec-15 18:51:54

Ah, brilliant, thanks. I know how I'll be spending my weekend in that case (as well as putting up the Christmas tree..!)

Ferguson Wed 09-Dec-15 20:37:00

If you can't plant them in the garden yet, at least get them started in pots that will get the cold, but NOT become waterlogged.

I don't know about the staggered flowering: probably NOT, as bulbs are like children - they don't like to be the odd one out, and prefer to stick with their peers!

If 'climate change' carries on, this is how it will be. We have primroses in flower, and a nice white camellia - but that will be dingy brown if frosts get it!

LBOCS2 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:11:51

They're getting the cold already - they're in the conservatory. I'll just pop them in the beds; they'll either go or not!

funnyperson Wed 09-Dec-15 21:56:34

Yes I have primroses and a camellia in flower too. And an osteospermum.
And bulbs still to plant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now