Talk

Advanced search

Winter planters - what looks attractive.

(15 Posts)
littlejo67 Thu 12-Nov-15 22:57:48

I have a few large tubs by exterior doors and I want to put some attractive plants in them. Saw Cyclamen and Chrysanthemums in Garden centre and thought - as they are currently flowering they would be dead soon. What do people put in tubs for autumn /winter colour?

bookbook Fri 13-Nov-15 19:23:14

Traditionally I plant pansies and primroses on top of bulbs with a small evergreen with some leaf interest and height
If you dont like pansies and primroses maybe a small evergreen shrub something like Gaulteria Procumbens or Hebe "Bronze Glow" with some trailing ivy, and heathers

gingeroots Sat 14-Nov-15 10:00:30

As far as I know cyclamen will carry on flowering - though I could be wrong blush.No expert .Just googled and says will flower until Christmas .

I've planted small cyclamen ,violas ,hebe ,heather and a few strands of small leaved golden hearted ivy as I like a bit of a trail .
I discovered trailing pansies very late (sadly) so only have one pot with these .

I've gone for small cyclamen and violas because I think the cyclamens are prettier and I'd read that violas cope with wind and rain better .But larger might look better in big planters .

I've filled in some gaps with forget-me-not seedlings as they are rampant in my garden .

I've seen this www.google.co.uk/search?q=Calocephalus+brownii&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMImKeRvNOPyQIVRLgaCh0fQwDC&biw=1366&bih=633#imgrc=j0HUn17Ij2eLcM%3A around and considered but decided against .

littlejo67 Sat 14-Nov-15 22:15:52

Thank you both very much. Inspired now :-)

yankeecandle4 Sun 15-Nov-15 08:39:50

I go for evergreen shrubs with primrose interspersed. IME cyclamen/pansies are not great in high winds.

B&Q have a massive clearance sale on plants and I got lots of evergreen shrub packs for half price, as well as rosemary bushes for £1 (I am putting these in planters as presents). Silver Mist is also great, hardy and good growth. I bought Black Beard to plant in a white container; haven't tried it before but it looks well and is evergreen (or black!).

gingeroots Sun 15-Nov-15 08:54:47

I like your suggestions yankee ,must try them next year .

I should have thought of the silver mist davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/195791/#b. I should have thought of that .

gingeroots Sun 15-Nov-15 08:55:24

And great idea re presents and B&Q sell off !

yankeecandle4 Sun 15-Nov-15 09:36:10

Also you can't go wrong with cordyline, the red one is especially nice in winter.

rainydaygrey Sun 15-Nov-15 09:39:44

I like heather myself.

gingeroots Sun 15-Nov-15 10:05:26

rainy I'm new to heather . I've planted in containers and used ericaceous soil . Is it summer/late autumn that it flowers ? Is it fairly dwarf/slow growing i.e. can I leave it in the container or will it take over ?

bookbook Sun 15-Nov-15 11:44:49

they are usually fairly slow growing gingerootsand maybe get a bit straggly IYSWIM , but pretty in late winter/early spring, lots of shades from white through to dark pink. i have to put them in pots, as my garden is on chalk, and they just don't thrive.
www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=Erica+carnea

yankeecandle4 Sun 15-Nov-15 12:05:39

I know winter cabbages aren't to everyone's taste, but I got my first one this year and now I'm converted!

littlejo67 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:52:08

Wow thanks for all the suggestions. First time I checked for a couple of days. So i am thinking combinations of - red cordyline /colourful heather with primroses/ Cyclamen and bulbs underneath.

littlejo67 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:53:08

Or maybe some cabbages under the red cordyline.....

ZebedeesJeans Fri 20-Nov-15 19:51:23

Bookbook - you mentioned bulbs with pansies and primroses on top. I've planted a couple of pots with tulips, if I top with plants that are flowering now, will they have finished flowering by the time the tulips come through? I don't want a mish-mash of plants in the spring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now