Talk

Advanced search

Flowers in the winter garden

(7 Posts)
funnyperson Mon 02-Nov-15 06:33:32

I havent been to the famous Hillier winter gardens but I thought it would be useful to share experience and knowledge of flowers/veg in the garden from November to December. I'm thinking of hardy plants (ie not greenhouse, or indoors,or under cloches)
As a start

Winter jasmine (never fails)
Winter honeysuckle Lonicera x purpussi 'winter beauty' (I havent grown this)
Clematis 'jingle bells' (hasnt flowered yet in my garden)
Mahonia (lovely colour)
Snowdrops (essential)
Hellebores (brilliant)
Hesperanthus (beautiful)

florentina1 Mon 02-Nov-15 08:51:37

My favourite winter garden is Anglesey Abbey on the East coast of England.

We went in January, the Winter Garden Walk is hidden, you round a corner and suddenly you are in wonderland.

My favourite was black grass with Cornus midwinter Fire growing out of it.
It looked liked flames coming out of coal.

Beth Chatto garden is also lovely I. winter.

shovetheholly Mon 02-Nov-15 19:17:49

Lovely thread idea!

Vote from me for:

Prunus x subhirtella - because cherry blossom in winter always feels like some kind of miracle

Garrya elliptica - amazing and architectural, in January

Sarcococca - the best winter scent in the garden?

Viburnum tinus 'eve price' - this is a trooper, clouds of pink berries, followed by white flowers followed by berries, and it's evergreen and attractive for the rest of the year too

Narcissus 'Cedric Morris' -which I still haven't managed to source sad

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that black grass mentioned above will be Ophiopogon planiscapus.

shovetheholly Mon 02-Nov-15 19:20:00

Oh, and Callicarpa profusion - bright purple berries that remind me of little wooden beads

And BOO HISS to coloured heathers. Especially the really crazily artificial colours like bright blue. I hates em.

funnyperson Mon 02-Nov-15 21:13:35

I'm not a great heather fan either-except on the Scottish hills where that purply haze is amazing-though not in winter!

Last year the Edgeworthia Chrysantha at Wisley was attractive and I bought one which is in a pot- I hope it flowers!

bookbook Mon 02-Nov-15 22:40:43

Watching this for ideas smile
Most of my winter stuff is leafy evergreens, with just a couple of mahonia ,
a Viburnum Tinus ( which is enormous )
Hellebores I love, have a few and I do have a couple of evergreen clematis armandii, but they flower more in early spring...

shovetheholly Tue 03-Nov-15 08:43:08

funny - that Edgeworthia is a thing of great beauty! I have plant envy!!

I'm wondering if I can grow one. It would need winter protection, as it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll get down to -5 to -8 here. But apparently if it has the right soil, it can do well.

I like the name too - am v interested in Maria Edgeworth, and this was collected by her brother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now