Talk

Advanced search

water butt advice

(12 Posts)
CheeseEloise1 Fri 30-Oct-15 00:08:59

Where can I get a good water butt and have you been happy with yours?

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 30-Oct-15 01:40:10

How much space do you have?

I bought a slimline one as I lacked space for a full size one. It still holds 100L smile

I'm really pleased with it and it's handy for watering the end of the garden that the hose doesn't stretch to.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 30-Oct-15 01:42:39

Mine came from Tesco but I bought it in the sale.

CheeseEloise1 Fri 30-Oct-15 08:51:21

How do you attach a hose to it? Can you attach any hose or does it need to be bought with the water butt?

shovetheholly Fri 30-Oct-15 10:07:06

I got mine from Aldi! Cost about £18.

I use it to fill up watering cans, but I believe you can get gravity-fed kits that will allow you to use a hose with it, provided you're not wanting to go very steeply uphill.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 30-Oct-15 10:20:52

I noticed our Homebase had a water butt irrigation kit reduced to £7.50, it looked like they were clearing the line so it might be nationwide.

My water butt came with a stand, tap and a drainpipe diverter kit, advertised as 'all in one'.. My drainpipes are cast iron and I wanted to put it by the shed anyway however I forgot I'd need to install guttering on the shed to collect the water d'oh!

bookbook Fri 30-Oct-15 22:05:26

I have a few - newest was for the greenhouse, so a slim line one from Wilkos

www.wilko.com/water-butt-slim-injection-100ltr/invt/0313385

I did buy the stand for it as well.The butt has a prepared hole to put a pipe into it.

yeOldeTrout Fri 30-Oct-15 22:23:33

hose? Why would you have a hose?
We have a drainage pipe & a tap.

TalkinPeas Sat 07-Nov-15 22:12:20

This is mine grin
shop.smithsofthedean.co.uk/new-1520-litre--330-gallon-water-tank-751-p.asp

funnyperson Sat 07-Nov-15 23:44:46

Thats very expensive

TalkinPeas Sun 08-Nov-15 14:31:40

funnyperson
not for the amount of water it holds .....
it is 7 feet tall and 5 feet across : I divert the gutters from my house into it

I have 750 gallons of water storage dotted around ...

PigletJohn Sat 28-Nov-15 11:56:43

check your local water co and council website.

IIRC I got mine free or subsidised one day when they were having a water-saving campaign. They took over the council offices carpark for a weekend and had the Scouts helping to hand them out. I think I had to pay for a diverter device that fits on the gutter downpipe. You need to save water from wet spells to see you through the dry, so a big butt is best.

There is some Water Saving organisation that occasionally gives or sells water saving devices like tap aerators and cistern hippos (but they should not be used in modern small cisterns).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kYYuKbxa30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now