Talk

Advanced search

Slugs - am I wasting my time hunting in the dark with a torch?

(6 Posts)
Voiceoffstage Thu 29-Oct-15 20:48:52

I'm in the habit of scrabbling around my garden on warm, wet nights with a bucket of salty hot water and a head-torch to collect slugs and snails.

The other evening I was surprised in my hunt by my <new> neighbour shining a very powerful torch at me & telling me not to move because he'd called the Police. Actually it wasn't quite as polite as thatwink Thankfully he hadn't. But he was most bemused when I explained that I was hunting slugs. I also made a joke about having slug stew on Wednesday evenings lol! It certainly broke the ice with our new neighbour!

It started me thinking - am I merely taking revenge on the few molluscs that happen to be around at the time? Or am I really reducing the population?

Your thoughts please fellow gardeners?

funnyperson Thu 29-Oct-15 21:36:07

Lol
I do the slug thing by day, then the birds watch me intently and swoop.
No police involved. However I talk to myself and the birds and the neighbours think I am mad. They are, of course, completely mistaken.

shovetheholly Fri 30-Oct-15 10:12:31

Hahahahahaha! Oh dear, your story did make me laugh!!

No, you're not wasting your time. It's a good, environmentally friendly way of dealing with the problem. I think the key to it is that you're not entirely eradicating the population (which would be impossible) - just removing some of the offenders to give your plants a fighting chance.

DoreenLethal Fri 30-Oct-15 10:14:55

What plants are your slugs currently eating?

Personally I find it more effective to pull up any mulches and crush the eggs/give them to the ducks to eat.

bookbook Fri 30-Oct-15 22:09:53

Somehow, after this wet summer, it will be a small victory to get rid of any. I have just cleaned out my greenhouse, and not only did I find a very fat frog, but a lovely little patch of slug eggs, which I put on the bird table.
I have mentioned this before, but I was once sat quietly on a bench in my garden, when I was pelted with snails being thrown over the hedge by a neighbour!

TalkinPeas Sat 07-Nov-15 22:06:19

salt is not good for your soil
I have an old butter knife and then cut them in half
the hedgehog follows me around the garden eating the canapes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: