Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

living eco roofs for small sheds

(10 Posts)
funnyperson Mon 26-Oct-15 19:28:16

I am thinking of creating a living roof on top of the log store which will in fact be storing garden tools. The roof is currently untreated wood and it is too high for me to water it regularly so needs to be low maintainence once planted. Has anyone got an eco roof and can advise me please?

TalkinPease Mon 26-Oct-15 20:47:01

Mine is 2 inches of hydroponic granules
planted withe sedums, sempervivums and other INCREDIBLE tough things : we lose a few each year
but others are spreading to bind it all together

funnyperson Tue 27-Oct-15 01:01:39

Thank you talkinpeas Just hydroponic granules or soil as well? How do you keep the granules/soil from slipping off the roof? Which sedums/semperviums have you found works best? Do they flower?

TalkinPease Tue 27-Oct-15 09:26:16

my roof is flat but a grid of plastic or wood will do the trick on a gentle slope
each plant goes in to the granules with a couple of extra handfuls of compost around it

they flower like crazy
you need to trial and error to see what works for you

in the spring go to a plant fair and buy 10 different small ones
and a month later do it again
mine is 5 years old now

shovetheholly Wed 28-Oct-15 08:19:10

What a lovely idea! I'd really like to see pictures (hint, hint)!

Do you use a membrane to stop water getting through?

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 11:21:34

not got many pics - and its not in flower at the moment : but its based on ones I saw in The Garden magazine

the roof is an external one so I use flack mulch cloth to manage dirt but no more than that

funnyperson Wed 28-Oct-15 19:30:14

What is flack mulch cloth?
What do you think f this sort of ready made kit?
www.enviromat.co.uk/sedum-pitched-green-roof-kits/?gclid=CO7n_6zz5cgCFVEYGwodWAELFw

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 21:10:00

sorry, black .... this stuff
www.harrodhorticultural.com/ground-cover-weed-control-fabric-100g-pid7521.html?Aff=GPL&gclid=CK7ksZ-I5sgCFdQaGwod08ACUg

and then the frame could be made of this
www.boddingtons-ltd.com/products/grass-ground-reinforcement/grass-reinforcement-protection/bodpave-85-grass-pavers-gravel-pavers.php

and then buy tiny plants in bulk so you can choose what you want

funnyperson Wed 28-Oct-15 22:47:52

Thank you talkin. It looks as though the whole thing could be quite heavy! I' gong to have to think of a way to stop it sliding off the slopy roof!

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 22:55:18

the granules are really light
the plastic is light
the plants never get heavy as there is no water retention

pop a sheet of marine ply over the roof and you'll be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now