Talk

Advanced search

Soaking over wintered geraniums

(3 Posts)
yankeecandle4 Sun 25-Oct-15 12:14:10

Is this a must? I have put them in a paper bag. Some sites say that monthly the roots should be soaked for an hour and others do not mention this at all.

I am keen to preserve them as I bought loads last year and want to see them in full bloom again next year.

Anyone tried and tested either method?

Ferguson Sun 25-Oct-15 19:15:07

I assume you really mean PELARGONIUMS rather than geraniums?? Strictly speaking, Geraniums are hardy 'cranesbill.'

This link gives information, including overwintering, and as it is RHS I assume this is going to be pretty accurate:

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=338

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sun 25-Oct-15 20:34:14

I followed a tutorial on YouTube last year. I pruned the majority of the foliage (using clean secateurs), lifted and potted them.

They lived in the greenhouse over winter and I watered them sparingly. They all survived and went on to flower brilliantly this year.

Actually now I think of it I potted them quite snugly, partly because I was rushing and partly because they were quite big plants/ root systems and I'd run out of larger pots!

I'm going to do the same this year and also root the cuttings in trays to get additional plants.

If anyone has any foolproof tips for trailing begonias and dahlias I'd be interested wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now