Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Edible plants to grow indoors

(10 Posts)
ValancyJane Tue 20-Oct-15 13:47:45

Okay, bit of a random one here! I have big plans for the garden next year (I like growing fruit and veg mostly) and was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for plants I can grow in our conservatory too? It's south facing and gets loads of light, it also gets pretty hot in the summer months; last year I was quite successful with my little herb garden, have previously also done well with tomatoes and bell peppers in there (however we can't do those now as it turns out the leaves of the plants are toxic to cats, and ours quite enjoys nibbling a good leaf!).

I've tried googling it, but am not really finding any great ideas. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! smile

shovetheholly Tue 20-Oct-15 13:56:27

I guess one classic thing would be oranges/lemons!

ValancyJane Tue 20-Oct-15 14:02:52

I had my eye on a lovely dwarf lemon tree from the garden center, but they leaves are toxic to cats, sigh! (I realise he would probably NOT ingest enough to harm him, but I'd rather not risk it).

CarriesBucketOfBlood Tue 20-Oct-15 14:13:39

A small olive tree, chilli plants, some indoor herbs, a pineapple plant (great fun although it's not particularly viable as food as they take a long time).

bookbook Tue 20-Oct-15 21:16:17

Aubergines /cucumbers/melons/grapes mmmmmm.... I'm sure there must be loads more!

bookbook Tue 20-Oct-15 21:17:18

Aubergines /cucumbers/melons/grapes mmmmmm.... I'm sure there must be loads more!

bookbook Tue 20-Oct-15 21:18:36

oh sorry - how did that happen? blush

ValancyJane Tue 20-Oct-15 21:56:31

Ooh thanks, lots of good ideas there! I could definitely be tempted by grapes / pineapple plants. Used to have a chilli plant and loved it, but (you've guessed it) toxic to cats. Hope he appreciates the effort I'm going to in order to not poison him!!

bookbook Tue 20-Oct-15 22:23:39

you could always come and join us on the allotment/veg patch thread - there will be other ideas I'm sure smile

bookbook Tue 20-Oct-15 22:24:19

you could always come and join us on the allotment/veg patch thread - there will be other ideas I'm sure smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now