Advanced search

moving hydrangea?

(11 Posts)
insertimaginativeusername Sun 04-Oct-15 21:07:30

Just that has some mature hydrangeas that have slipped over time (bit of a sloped border) and one died a while ago so leaves a gap. I'd like to move them around to balance the border out.

Is this ok to do this time of year? Any tips for ensuring I don't kill them off?

M0rven Sun 04-Oct-15 21:10:34

How big are they ? Personally I'd move them later in the year when they are dormant .

Are they the kind you prune hard or lightly ?

insertimaginativeusername Sun 04-Oct-15 21:17:29

About 3-4 feet wide?

I don't know if they are the sort that can be/are supposed to be pruned hard, but they take my gung ho approach to pruning very well and have come back every year grin

M0rven Mon 05-Oct-15 07:38:26

I'm guessing they are in flower now, so many you could post a photo ?

CuttedUpPear Mon 05-Oct-15 07:51:43

Before you move it, give it your hard prune and make some cuttings out of the prunings.
That way if it doesn't survive, you'll have substitute plants.

M0rven Mon 05-Oct-15 08:31:32

You could root prune it now , in preparation for moving it in February .

If you prune hard every spring and it still flowers that year , then it must be Hydrangea paniculata , as they flower on new wood . If it flowers on the old wood and you prune hard in spring, you lose the flowers that year .

Also the root ball will be huge and heavy , it will take two people to move it( I'm assuming you have a clay soil )

insertimaginativeusername Mon 05-Oct-15 16:00:16

I'm not able to post a photo right now but your are right, it is clay soil so I will enlist some help for the big move!

I will root some as you say though just in case they don't appreciate it. Thank you for the helpful advice.

Ferguson Tue 06-Oct-15 23:15:22

These links might help:

funnyperson Wed 07-Oct-15 02:33:17

brilliant link!

FeelsLikeHome123 Wed 07-Oct-15 02:37:40

According to a local gardener on the radio last week, they don't like to be moved but if you do move them, make sure to take a large amount of earth around them so you don't damage the roots

WelliesAndPyjamas Sat 17-Oct-15 20:14:58

Sounds like a big job! I moved a smallish hydrangea bush about three years ago, it survived, and is still fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now