What type of fern is this please? Pic included

(6 Posts)
QuartzUcan Thu 27-Aug-15 18:17:10

I bought 2 of these unlabelled ferns at my local nursery today. There were lots of different types mostly unlabelled in 1 litre pots and all listed as evergreen. I thought they were a bargain @£1.99 each grin.

I have had a quick look on the plantsforshade website but am still confused as to what type it is. I suppose that doesn't really matter but as I bought 2 I am wondering how far apart to plant them from each other and expected height and spread. I was planning on putting them at the side of a narrow border (3ft depth).

I am a fern novice!

Ferguson Thu 27-Aug-15 23:41:51

Are you certain they ARE ferns? There's millions of variations of fern, and I have a couple, including Japanese painted fern, which is lovely.

Personally, I would space them well apart, with different things in between, as normally things are planted in ODD numbers, so two together might not be so 'artistic'.

RapidlyOscillating Thu 27-Aug-15 23:48:29

I had those in my fern border at my old house but no idea what they are I'm afraid. Slow growing compared to the others so fine near the front I would imagine.

QuartzUcan Fri 28-Aug-15 08:09:58

Thank you.

They were definitely in the fern section, so I am fairly hopeful confident that they are.

I shall plant them and hope for the best!

echt Fri 28-Aug-15 08:29:44

It's holly fern:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrtomium_falcatum

QuartzUcan Fri 28-Aug-15 11:22:39

echt - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now