Talk

Advanced search

bloody powdery mildew

(8 Posts)
Gatekeeper Mon 10-Aug-15 12:42:14

it's on everything..roses, honeysuckle, courgettes, apples, and various other bedding and perennials. The weather has been much the same as any other NE England summer , i.e mostly crap and wet so nothing different there

Anyone else?

shovetheholly Mon 10-Aug-15 12:55:12

sad Oh no!

I've heard that a spray mix of milk (1 part) to water (9 parts) every 2 weeks (and not more frequently) can help.

I know it sounds really counterintuitive for a fungal infection, but I have read a bit about mildew being caused by water stress, not by too much dampness. Maybe think about using grey water in the garden, or an extra water butt?? Sprinkling on the leaves rather than just going straight to the roots is supposed to help.

Obviously, air circulation is important too - my apple tree got bad mildew last year because I let it get far too congested. It's been much better this year, since I took out about 1/3 of growth, which is about the maximum you can do without really hurting the tree. I will remove another chunk of growth this year as it's better but still a bit dense.

Gatekeeper Mon 10-Aug-15 13:01:22

I've started defoliating a bit - irks me though that I can't bung the leaves and whatnot in my compost bins (currently filling up number 5 grin) but have to burn 'em or bin them

I'm giving them a good watering and will try the milk thing <pongy> thanks

shovetheholly Mon 10-Aug-15 13:30:13

5 compost bins - I am envious! envy That's industrial-scale decomposition!

Gatekeeper Wed 12-Aug-15 14:58:27

We are getting another one courtesy of freecycle; dh and ds like going down the bottom of the garden and having a wee in alternate ones a couple of times
a week grin

shovetheholly Wed 12-Aug-15 16:46:55

envy envy envy

I have just finished turning my one and only compost bin. Even though I have two bokashi bins I am jealous of your imminent arrival.

I cannot for the life of me persuade my DH to wee in the compost bin. It's not much to ask in a marriage, is it? He insists that the neighbours can see. I maintain that they won't if he crouches.

(What do you think would happen if I posted this in AIBU?)

Gatekeeper Wed 12-Aug-15 21:41:57

I almost have to stop dh etc from weeing as they think they are Bear Grylls. Dh is not bothered if neighbour next door can see him as he would be 'mightily impressed by his tackle' etc etc

'aIBU to want my husband to urinate over decomposing vegetables'?

Hmmm...doesn't look good does it grin

shovetheholly Thu 13-Aug-15 08:38:58

grin to Bear Grylls. I am pondering whether I can casually leave this thread open on DH's computer so he can see that it's not abnormal AT ALL to request this!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now