Talk

Advanced search

Roses for partial shade - your favourites?

(3 Posts)
shovetheholly Tue 04-Aug-15 14:05:24

I would like to add a couple of roses to my north-facing, fairly shady garden. Soil is heavy clay, though it's had lots of compost added now and is improving.

I'm after a climber I think, and maybe a bush rose too. I've been toying with the idea of Mme Alfred Carriere, but I would ideally like something a bit pinker and more scented (I seem to have come over all girly, don't I?).

I've had a browse through varieties to get a sense of what's out there, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal favourites that they would recommend?

aircooled Tue 04-Aug-15 20:04:30

Gloire de Dijon. Not girly pink, more buff gold. Doesn't clash with red brick. Lovely old-fashioned full flowers. For pink I would go for Kathleen Harrop, a much lovelier pale sport of the rather harsh pink Zephirine Drouhin. Lovely scent and thornless too.

shovetheholly Wed 05-Aug-15 07:25:06

The Gloire de Dijon is lovely! Like one of those amazing mid-eighteenth century dresses with very full skirts. Thanks - it's perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now