Talk

Advanced search

Butternut squash - any hope?

(4 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 03-Aug-15 12:41:46

I've been gifted a couple of small butternut squash plants by a not-very green fingered neighbour.

I wasn't planning on acquiring any more veg (I started my courgettes and tomatoes months ago) but felt too rude to refuse.

Is there any hope for these plants? They're past the seedling stage and have healthy hearts. I don't have a greenhouse but am in the SE. I feel I could probably bring them on a fair bit in a fortnight with some TLC.

I thought they'd be summer fruiting and it'd be too late but from what I read it seems to say butternut squash are an autumn/ winter fruiting crop?

As you can see I'm a bit confused wink The neighbour sowed them months ago but neglected to pot them on, they're desperate to escape their tiny pots wink

Any help appreciated smile

agoodbook Mon 03-Aug-15 14:07:28

I am in Yorkshire, and my butternut squash are planted outside. They fruit in Autumn and keep for overwinter ,so if we have a good Indian summer, you may get some - fingers crossed smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 03-Aug-15 14:16:53

Thank you! Are your plants massive by now? Could I get away with two in a grow bag (sunny spot)? I can't really be bothered with more stuff at this stage but I don't want to let my kindly neighbour down smile

agoodbook Mon 03-Aug-15 17:12:45

They are massive now - real thugs! But as long as you have enough room to let them scramble, I think you could get away with 2 in a bag - lots of feed and water though - they are greedy and thirsty smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now