Talk

Advanced search

Why aren't my plants flowering?

(31 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sat 01-Aug-15 18:21:24

Most of them are, but some are just stubbornly looking at me and refusing to flower.
E.g, I bought an Astillbe in May. It had pink buds on it. It's still got pink buds on nowhmm Echinaccea (sp) not flowered, a big red Lobelia thing, not flowered. Is it the crap weather?

Ferguson Sat 01-Aug-15 20:04:08

Astilbe need dampness and rich soil:

www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/astilbe/growing-astilbe-plants.htm

Lobelia may be difficult, and we have never succeeded with it:

www.perennials.com/plants/lobelia-cardinalis.html

www.mrsgreenfingers.co.uk/how-to-grow-echinacea.html

Orangeanddemons Sun 02-Aug-15 08:34:20

We'll they are both in the right place. Astillbe in dappled moist shade in rich damp soil. Ditto Lobelia, although one is in more sun than the other.

StaceyAndTracey Sun 02-Aug-15 22:09:02

Erm, they might not flower until August . Where do you live?

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Sun 02-Aug-15 23:45:42

Our Echinacea is still in bud - although it is a relatively young plant and was only planted out into the garden earlier this year, having been grown in a pot at our last house. I expect it to flower within the next week by the look of it.

Our Astilbes (planted by the previous owner) have been flowering for weeks.

We're in the West Midlands btw.....

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 02-Aug-15 23:49:25

Echinacea usually flowers late summer into autumn.

Astilbe is more kind of feathery plumes rather than opening flowers as such.

Not sure about the lobelia.

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 06:46:00

YY , echinacea doesn't flower until August . Also they like good draining and lots of sun, so don't plant them with the other two .

I have one astilbe that's just into flower this weekend . While others have been in flower since June

Maybe we need a photo of yours ?

Pointlessfan Mon 03-Aug-15 06:55:46

I have this problem too, my geraniums won't flower! I thought they were easy to grow and all the neighbours' ones have bloomed!
I hope you see some flowers soon!

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 08:11:44

The echinacea has buds now! But the Astillbe just sits there looking at me. I'm in the north of England where it's been Autumn since May. I've had Astillbe before and it definitely hasn't flowered.

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 08:13:22

Photo ?

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 08:32:56

I'll put a photo on in a bit. Am currently in bedblush

shovetheholly Mon 03-Aug-15 08:34:53

Do they look otherwise healthy? Are they growing?

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 08:38:19

It is 8:30am in my country . The only reason I'm not in the garden is that it's pouring . Despite the weather forecast of dry and sunny. Sigh

And of course two pesky children who keep interfering with my gardening plans

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 09:00:06

Grumpy Astillbe. Please ignore weeds. blush I've been ill. It's sat there like a lemon since the day of purchase. Part of it died, but the rest is Ok. It seems to be dormant rather than growing.

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 09:15:35

I think it has flowered - the White bits are the flowers and the brown bits are the flowers that have gone over . You can cut off the brown bits

I see it has a label - you need to get its full name ( not just astilbe, the bit afterwards too ) and put into google images , then you will see what it supposed to look like

I'm sorry to hear you have been ill

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 09:43:26

No, it definitely hadn't flowered. There's been no feathery blooms at all. It's been like that since the beginning of May when I planted it.hmm

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 11:07:44

Do they look a bit like this ?

This is a white one in my garden, you can see the White flowers and the brown ones behind which are going over

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 11:13:04

Different astilbe , more brown

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 11:20:30

They are not all fluffy like this . sorry I only have red fluffy , not white fluffy < technical term >

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 15:23:18

No, they don't look like any of those.They are a fluff free zone. They look mostly like the bottom bits of the second one, but with no fluff.

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 16:30:26

I think they flowered before you bought them , as the leaves look healthy

Cut off the dead flowers if they bother you . I'd divide it up in the autumn if there is a reasonable rootball . Replant it where it is , if that's moist shade

It's not dormant , they go dormant in the winter and seem to be dead, but it will come back in the spring

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 16:57:30

But I just dismantled one of the top flower bits. It's like a bud with lots of pale pink fluff stuff inside. I've also poked around a bit more, and it doesn't seem to have any new leaves either

Ferguson Mon 03-Aug-15 20:10:10

S&T - I do like your pond!

StaceyAndTracey Mon 03-Aug-15 21:34:17

Thank you Ferguson smile

Oranges - I'm impressed by your forensic approach to this. Can you tell me your astilbes full name ?

Orangeanddemons Tue 04-Aug-15 08:23:43

I'll have a look. Am in bed againblush. You have a very lovely garden!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now