Talk

Advanced search

What is this please?

(6 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 30-Jul-15 22:50:17

It's a big bush, grows higher than my head, and flowers (or are they bracts?) around now (it started a few weeks ago). The flower things are not very noticeable as they are sort of greenish-white. Any ideas?

I've got another one to ask about too but not got round to taking any pics of that yet!

DoreenLethal Thu 30-Jul-15 23:03:51

Thats a cornus...cant remember variety - give me a few minutes and i will try and find it.

DoreenLethal Thu 30-Jul-15 23:05:40

Kousa - cornus kousa.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 30-Jul-15 23:08:32

Oh I think you are right! Just googled and it looks like cornus kousa chinensis or something very similar, though ours is much more bush-shaped than tree-shaped. Quite surprised as we also have some other cornus (the coloured-stem sort - possibly sanguinea?) which is totally different of course, so I'd never have thought they were related! Thank you!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 30-Jul-15 23:14:30

Maybe I need to look after it a bit more to make it happier. All the ones in the pictures seem to have way more flowers than ours! Perhaps a bit of feeding and removing a few of the lowest branches might do it good... or maybe it's just in a bit too much shade, can't do much about that though.

JennySK Mon 03-Aug-15 10:17:45

I love flowering dogwoods, but yes they're nothing like their relatives the colourful dogwood shrubs.

This website sells them but also has lots of info on looking after them, pruning etc. Might be worth a look for help getting it back to shape.

www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/cornus-kousa-chinensis-tree-pp295

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now