Talk

Advanced search

advice please for what to plant along driveway

(3 Posts)
downbythesecretgarden Mon 27-Jul-15 15:17:09

hello, we finally have cleared an area to the side of the drive, so its also quite close to the fairly quiet road. It's a long strip (30 plus feet?) but only a couple of feet wide.

Should I plant anything at this stage of the summer? I have roses, geraniums, poppies and the usual type of garden centre cell plants in pots. Would any of them be transplantable or even get on together?

I would love a display of tall flowers next summer, but maybe this is a bit ambitious. I would also plan to plant bulbs in the autumn, but don't want to end up with a complete mess of everything!

thanks.

aircooled Mon 27-Jul-15 20:59:22

Tall plants can be a problem in a narrow border as they will naturally grow towards the light and possibly flop. You haven't said what the aspect is but I would think shorter plants might be a better bet and a mixture of evergreen shrubs and herbaceous stuff will give year-round interest. As is often recommended on similar threads, find a helpful local nursery or garden centre who will help you choose suitable plants. Plant in 'blocks' rather than single plants to avoid a 'dotty' look. If you plant now you will have to be vigilant with the watering if the next promised heatwave actually arrives.

downbythesecretgarden Tue 28-Jul-15 11:53:10

thanks. It is reasonably sunny (when there is any sun). I don't want to spend a fortune so was hoping to try to grow some things from seed/bulb or replant what I already have. In some ways I can't wait to get started, but maybe I should be patient. No sign of a heatwave just yet, it's pouring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now