Talk

Advanced search

Tiny problem, Kitchen Composter

(13 Posts)
iamEarthymama Wed 22-Jul-15 08:19:54

I am a devotee of composting, one of my happiest moments was the first time I emptied my composter.
I have bee hive composter and wormery in home garden and two Tardis types on the allotment.

My tiny problem is what to use in the kitchen for teabags and scraps?
I can't go down to the bins every time and in our weather I would need wellies and a raincoat every time.
We tried those pretty bins but there were tiny flies, which I know we need for decomposition but not in the kitchen!
And over winter I could use a larger container near the house or could I put the wormery on a solid surface?

What have you found works well?

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 22-Jul-15 08:21:35

I'm sure shovetheholly will be here any moment to introduce you to the joy of the Bokashi Bin! I won't steal her thunder - suffice is to say it should do what you need!

iamEarthymama Wed 22-Jul-15 08:27:16

Ooh I did look at buying Earthywife a Bokashi for Christmas!

(We lead an exciting life here at EarthyHouse!)

Waits in anticipation, with teabag on spoon in mid air....

echt Wed 22-Jul-15 10:55:49

I have one like this, from Aldi, so much cheaper.
www.fishpond.com.au/c/Kitchen/q/KITCHEN+COMPOSTER+FILTERS
They seem to have them in about twice a year. No flies due to filters.

shovetheholly Wed 22-Jul-15 11:14:58

BOKASHI! BOKASHI!! BOKASHI!!! BOKASHI! BOKASHI!! BOKASHI!!! BOKASHI! BOKASHI!! BOKASHI!!!BOKASHI! BOKASHI!! BOKASHI!!! BOKASHI! BOKASHI!! BOKASHI!!!

Sorry, I get a bit overexcited when I get a chance to talk about this, as cupcakes rightly notes.

I have a bokashi bin and I routinely bore everyone rigid singing its praises. It can take everything - including cooked food and meat (I'm veggie, but my cat is most definitely not). The only thing it doesn't like is teabags, which for some reason are not advised.

It is essentially a box with a removable lid, with a tap on the bottom. You put the waste in, press it down to compress, and then sprinkle with magic bran. This pickles the waste - it sort of zombifies it as it rots and there are no flies or maggots or anything. You use the tap at the bottom to run off a super-nutritious, extremely high nitrogen liquid feed for your plants - a little of this goes a very long way. When the thing is full, you leave closed it 3 weeks, and then either bury the solid waste underneath heavy feeders or put it in the compost and cover. Rinse the bin, and you're ready to start again.

I have mine right outside my back door. You can't smell anything from it because it is essentially sealed (though when you open it, you will smell it very temporarily).

A bag of magic bran goes a very long way indeed, but is inexpensive to buy. The main cost is the initial outlay, because you need 2 bins in order to rotate them so that they can 'rest'.

shovetheholly Wed 22-Jul-15 11:17:29

Check out these beauties!

shovetheholly Wed 22-Jul-15 11:19:13

If money is a factor, here is a really, really smart DIY solution to make your own! BOKASHI IS NOW IN REACH OF EVERYONE!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlh5yPGJJo

iamEarthymama Fri 24-Jul-15 10:51:18

Shove the holly thank you so much
And to Echt and Cupcakes
I am going to check this out over the weekend!

iamEarthymama Tue 29-Dec-15 00:17:48

Just to update you all grin

EarthyHouse now has Bokashi!
Daughter and Partner bought us two bins and all the gubbins for Christmas.

We have had some funny looks but are very happy.
Thank you ShoveTheHolly for recommending it xx

shovetheholly Thu 07-Jan-16 13:11:28

Hooooooooray!! My life is complete, I have converted someone to the joys of the bokash!! grin grin grin

I hope you get much joy from it. I'm finding the liquid runoff is amazing for my veggies.

CuttedUpPear Thu 07-Jan-16 13:16:46

Right. Joining the thread in Bokashi awe and going to do some research.

shovetheholly Thu 07-Jan-16 13:20:09

Double hooray!

Let's build a cult of bokashi worship. I'm pretty sure the empty ones will make good drums...

shovetheholly Thu 07-Jan-16 13:25:23

oooooh, I just found this:

www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=19&cat=31

They are using a spray instead of bran!! What is this new devilry? I must try it out immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now