Talk

Advanced search

Rose bush for ruby anniversary - any recommendations?

(13 Posts)
gincamelbak Mon 20-Jul-15 21:48:24

I am completely clueless when it comes to gardening, but my parents are not. It's their ruby wedding anniversary soon and I thought a rose bush would be ideal, but I've no idea what sort or where to buy.

The garden is east/south facing and they do have a rose bush in there already that seems to have grown well.

Any recommendations? Especially for online purchases...

Thank you!

MoreBeta Mon 20-Jul-15 22:03:00

Go to the David Austin website and order a potted rose delivered by post.

They have recommended ones at the bottom of the page which I linked.

I have bought many roses from them this year and all beautiful.

If your parents have a bare house wall you could buy a climbing rose which they could train up a trellis. I recommend Shropshire Lad which I have in my backyard growing up a wall in a partially shaded spot that gets morning sun.

A shrub/bush rose is just to stick in the ground in a flower bed. I recommend Desdemona which won a Gold Medal at the Chelsea flower show. I have this in hot sunny bed and is stunning.

Any rose will enjoy an East/South facing garden which gets sun all day.

sophie150 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:06:26

My parents bought us some David Austin roses for our first wedding anniversary which are still going strong! The variety of roses were matched with our names if that makes sense, so a 'sophie' rose and a 'Sophie's dh' rose. We have quite classic names though so not sure how wide a selection they have. The name thing was a nice extra touch.

gincamelbak Mon 20-Jul-15 22:08:53

flowers thank you! I'll look on that site now.

Climbing ones are out, no spare walls and they are very precious about their garden fence at the moment - they recently painted a hill landscape along the whole fence which they are very proud of. grin (I think it's a bonkers but fun)

florentina1 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:15:04

I buy my roses from David Austin too. They do one called Ruby Anniversary. When is the anniversary?

TheHouseofMirth Mon 20-Jul-15 22:17:55

There is a rose called Ruby Wedding here. I'm pretty sure you could buy it from David Austin.

mandy214 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:21:27

Another vote for David Austen. I bought one for my Aunt and she bought one for my daughter's christening 5 years ago and it is beautiful. I love it.

gincamelbak Mon 20-Jul-15 22:22:55

Anniversary is in a fortnight!

I like the look of the Munstead Wood on the David Austen site, colour and scent are what I was looking for. I had thought about the one called Riby Wedding but it doesn't have any scent and that's a big part of the appeal I think.

I had no idea where to start and I think I've found the right rose now - thank you!

Oh! How many would you buy? One pot? Two? I don't know how many are needed to make a good bush...

florentina1 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:20:10

Good choice, I love Munstead Wood. I would buy just that one and if you want to spend more buy them some David Austen vouchers. They have lots of lovely things, not just roses. Also, if they are keen gardeners, they may want to choose some more roses to compliment it. Just be aware that this time of year you will get a pot grown rose via mail order so might not be in flower .

If you want one in flower, then large garden centres will have them.

Bare root roses can be ordered now and will be sent out in autumn.

gincamelbak Tue 21-Jul-15 19:05:18

Thank you for the advice - I think bare root will be best and hopefully not too long to wait for delivery.

dunce question: can you put a pottedrose into the fflower bed?

funnyperson Tue 21-Jul-15 19:10:14

Munstead Wood is a wonderful scented deep red rose! You could probably get it in flower from D, Austin depending on when the ruby wedding is.
Munstead Wood can get floppy so it is nice to have plant supports.

florentina1 Tue 21-Jul-15 19:34:47

Yes you can take it out of the pot and plant it in the ground. As your parents are keen gardeners they will know to keep it well watered to begin with.
Just in case. If they are going on holiday then keep it in the pot in a shady place standing in water.

Bare root roses are dispatched in November.

gincamelbak Wed 22-Jul-15 11:09:22

Brilliant, thank you. I'll order a pot and go from there. They love very scented flowers so tthat's good to hear Munstead Wood has a good scent.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now