Talk

Advanced search

My New Plants Are Dying

(6 Posts)
ChocomelandRinglings Tue 14-Jul-15 17:25:31

Over the last couple of months I've bought & planted three new plants, a Tamarisk, a Clematis and a Japanese Quince (Chaenomeles).

I've just noticed that all three are dying. Can anyone tell me why? Was it the wrong time to plant them?

addictedtosugar Tue 14-Jul-15 17:54:54

Have you watered them?

ChocomelandRinglings Tue 14-Jul-15 17:58:41

Yes, am wondering if I've over watered them?

florentina1 Tue 14-Jul-15 18:11:14

I would dig them up and put them into pots, where you may be able to nurse them back to health, with a bit of judicious pruning. What form is the dying taking, rotting stems, falling or wilting leaves?

It may be vine weavils eating away at the roots, so when you dig them up have a close look at what is going on at the base.

shovetheholly Thu 16-Jul-15 12:21:14

When did you plant them?

It's been a really hot, dry summer in a lot of places - very challenging for new plants to get enough water in these conditions because it takes them a while to get established in the soil. Generally, it's easier to plant shrubs in spring or autumn, when water isn't such an issue.

Florentina's advice of establishing a plant hospital where you can nurture them back to health is a good plan!

ChocomelandRinglings Sun 19-Jul-15 11:30:07

Sorry, meant to come back with answers. Have just realised, we had the grass treated a few weeks ago, by someone who is going to come 3 times a year. Could that have killed them all? He said the plants would be okay, but even my well established Lavatera and Buddleia bushes are turning yellow from the bottom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now