Talk

Advanced search

Soil Testing Kits?

(9 Posts)
EvaBee Mon 13-Jul-15 12:51:21

Have you ever bothered? If so where do you recommend I get one? We've not long moved in and are hopefully about to replant the front garden, which is currently all grass.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 13-Jul-15 14:37:18

I bothered and found out my garden is slightly limey which I suppose is good to know.

Qwebec Mon 13-Jul-15 22:32:36

I have never done it myself, but I heard that it is best that you bring a sample fron your garden (take a bit of soil in a few areas to get a more representative result) and have it tested at your local garden center. This way the lab will tell you exactly what to do in order to improve your soil.

Ferguson Mon 13-Jul-15 23:19:24

You can buy testing kits at garden centres, B&Q, etc. You mix soil in water, let it settle and compare colour against the kit instructions. I don't know what a garden centre charges to do it FOR you, but a kit could be cheaper.

EvaBee Mon 13-Jul-15 23:32:54

Thanks Qwebec, I didn't know they did that - I'm a complete beginner at this gardening stuff.

Ferguson - thanks a lot for that information, much appreciated.

smokedgarlic Mon 13-Jul-15 23:52:35

For a couple of quid you can buy oh testing strips on Amazon . You can mix the soil with a bit of water and test using the strip.

smokedgarlic Mon 13-Jul-15 23:53:29

PH not oh obviously !

EvaBee Tue 14-Jul-15 09:48:50

Thanks for that tip s.garlic

EvaBee Tue 14-Jul-15 11:07:16

oo look what I found www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/ Soilscapes website]]

We have soilscape 6. Great, free information on soil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now