Talk

Advanced search

Should I give up hope of growing Coriander?

(27 Posts)
UnGoogleable Sun 12-Jul-15 16:42:33

I bought one of those growing pots of Coriander from Lidl (at 95p, I thought it worth a gamble).

I repotted it into multi-purpose compost. It wilted almost immediately, but there are a few new shoots coming through. There is a tiny green caterpillar eating some of the leaves, which I've tried to pick off as I find them.

I've also planted coriander seeds and ended up with 3 pathetic seedlings which are also failing.

The pots are in my utility room, which has a clear plastic roof and windows so it's more like a greenhouse - very bright, very warm. I keep them well watered, but I wonder if I'm over watering them?

What am I doing wrong??

shovetheholly Sun 12-Jul-15 16:49:16

Those supermarket herbs can sometimes be very difficult to grow on - they're not like plants from garden centres. It's probably not your fault!!

It likes quite dry conditions and well drained soil, so maybe the water is a little bit of a problem for the seedlings?

UnGoogleable Sun 12-Jul-15 16:56:27

Yeah I did wonder whether it would fail, but for 95p thought it worth a go. My Basil bought at the same time is doing well.

The Coriander was quite leggy though, not much substance to it, so it's not altogether surprising it flopped.

OK the soil is definitely not draining well, it's quite soggy, so that might have something to do with it.

MollyAir Mon 13-Jul-15 23:55:24

I find coriander impossible to grow from seed. Also dill. The two herbs I love most in all the world!

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 15-Jul-15 12:10:23

Coriander tends to bolt though if it gets too dry. I've given up with it actually.

jammietart Thu 16-Jul-15 11:57:37

There was a really good herb thread on here a few months ago. Have a look. Think the coriander advice was can take time and make sure the seeds are a non flowering variety if you want the leaves (or some such advice)

UnGoogleable Fri 17-Jul-15 07:47:57

Hmmm I let it dry out a bit and it's almost completely gone. The few seedlings I managed to germinate have also withered. I've planted a few more seeds - got the seeds so I might as well, but I don't hold out much hope!

PurpleWithRed Fri 17-Jul-15 07:59:32

Those supermarket herb pots are not designed to keep growing - the seeds are crammed in, they are used to electronically-timed water feed and heat. Also Coriander grown for leaf isn't long lasting.

Personally I've stopped bothering trying to grow my own from seed too, really not worth the faff and disappointment.

fourtothedozen Fri 17-Jul-15 08:03:42

These herbs are sold for culinary purposes, not for horticulture. The varieties are bred to grow very fast, to lack "woodiness" in the stem, which makes for good eating but means the plant is very weak. These windowsill plants are not grown to last more than a week or two, so you didn't do anything wrong apart from buying the wrong plant.
Coriander is difficult to grow in this country, and tends to bolt when things don't go quite right.

villainousbroodmare Fri 17-Jul-15 08:07:08

You didn't do anything wrong. It's very soft and weak and hopeless stuff.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 17-Jul-15 10:19:03

How strange - I have never had trouble and I am not a competent gardener by a long shot. Perhaps it's about expectations - it will bolt so I see it as something you sow in succession if you want a supply rather than something you can always have a pot of like basil. Though I have just sown a new variety that claims to be cut and come again , so we shall see.

gallicgirl Fri 17-Jul-15 10:23:44

Makes me feel better. I bought a couple of plants from a garden centre and they bolted really quickly. I've cut them back but I'm not hopeful.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 18-Jul-15 18:29:28

I also thought coriander was weak and soft. But once I left one plant out in a pot over the winter. It bloody survived and grew to about 2 feet tall... I think the key is to keep it cool by watering frequently.

I love coriander.

RiverTam Sat 18-Jul-15 18:32:05

Yes. Because coriander is repellent stuff.

Lunastarfish Sat 18-Jul-15 18:35:11

There is no need for anyone to grow coriander!wink I'm in agreement with River

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 18-Jul-15 18:41:09

No no no! I grow coriander and mint so that I can have Thai beef salad and Vietnamese cold rolls. << hungry >>

MollyAir Sun 19-Jul-15 17:51:29

I wouldn't mind coriander going to seed if it then self-seeded - does it? I can't even get it going in the first place, not for any length of time.

Countess, any chance of you giving us the name of your new variety, pretty coriandery please?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 19-Jul-15 20:44:46

It's called Calypso. Can't vouch for it yet but it has germinated better than the two types of parsley I sowed at the same time.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 19-Jul-15 20:45:54

Re self-seeding, I have had a few free coriander plants pop up but not enough to mean you don't have to sow.

MollyAir Sun 19-Jul-15 22:12:45

Great, thanks. Slugs and snails also eat my new germinations but I can try copper banding for that.

SantiagoSky Sun 19-Jul-15 22:31:35

i have a supermarket coriander pot outside on a north facing window sill and it is happy there. Luck maybe? I put it in a bigger pot, maybe that makes a difference.

MollyAir Sun 19-Jul-15 23:01:14

How long has it lasted, Santiago? I usually get a second crop from every supermarket pot, but not a third.

MrsJamin Sun 26-Jul-15 07:45:09

I too have failed so many times with coriander, I feel much better having read this thread!

mellysam Mon 03-Aug-15 16:07:30

I have failed with herbs pots from the supermarket but bought some from a garden centre, repotted into slightly bigger pots, put outside on decking and all growing well (coriander, mint, thyme, oregano and sage)

Oldraver Sun 09-Aug-15 19:22:16

My latest corinader is almost dead. I have grown it in th past but it is a trcicky bugger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now