Talk

Advanced search

wild flower seed mix

(9 Posts)
maybetomorrow22 Fri 10-Jul-15 21:23:13

Can anyone recommend a good wild seed flower mix?

We done it last year around a border, it was amazing but no idea which brand it was and this years have been disappointing(different brand according to DH)

samsam123 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:21:31

I bought a small packet from Morrisons Mr Fothergills loads of plants wildflower cornfield mix

gingeroots Thu 16-Jul-15 18:00:21

I've had this www.pictorialmeadows.co.uk/ site recommended to me .
Apparently the end product of research at Sheffield Uni and seeds used for inhospitable municipal roadsides /roundabouts etc . So should grow anywhere ?

atticusclaw Thu 16-Jul-15 18:02:07

I put down three boxes in the spring and nothing in our "wildflower" area except long grass sad. Was cheap stuff from home bargains though.

AnulTheMagnificent Fri 17-Jul-15 20:10:56

I bought mine individually, chose the ones I liked best, they looked scruffy this year so pulled them up and am planting pots with bee friendly plants instead, although I do have some cornflower seeds, can't remember the make but they are a recognised name.

Orangeanddemons Fri 17-Jul-15 20:17:05

Oh! I live in Sheffield. I've seen those amazing meadows and road sides. They're fantastic. Now I know where they came from. We love driving past them and trying to see all the different flowers. Apparently everyone loves them, not just me! They're really loved and talked about

gingeroots Sat 18-Jul-15 09:04:32

That's such a nice post orange - I've forwarded it to the company .Hope you don't mind ,anoynomous anyway .

I was listening to gardeners question time yesterday and they had a whole conversation about creating a wild flower meadow .Apparently if you want flowers growing amongst grass you need to plant something ( naturally I can't remember the name ) which supresses the grass ?

Sure you could find it on Radio 4 website/podcast .

Orangeanddemons Sat 18-Jul-15 09:08:46

No it's fine. smile

gingeroots Sat 18-Jul-15 10:25:48

Here we are from QT

^Q – Earlier this year I seeded 150m2 (1614.5ft2) with a mix of annual and perennial wild flowers, they are currently being enjoyed by bees and butterflies. Can the panel advise what I should do at the end of the season to prepare for a similar show of colour next year?

Bunny – You want to make it nutrient-poor – so cut it and remove the cuttings. Do it in strips so you don’t leave the insects homeless. And don’t do anything before the end of July.

Matthew – Over-seed it with a plant called Yellow Rattle because it semi-parastises grasses and grass is your enemy in a meadow. ^

but appreciate this only applies to meadow type wild flower growing .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now