Talk

Advanced search

Mystery seeds in brother's garden

(10 Posts)
EmNetta Fri 10-Jul-15 14:03:23

He thought these were Mixed Salad I gave him, but have banned any tasting until we get a more suitable name, so can anyone help please? I suppose they might be Rue, as I had half-a-packet, but I'd far fewer from my sowing. They're about a week old, but no info about height yet - any ideas, o clever Mumsnetters?
So sorry I can't post photo here, it's on my photo file if you click on my name.

Mitzimaybe Fri 10-Jul-15 18:27:03

I don't really understand how you don't know what they are, if you gave them to him. They look like perhaps parsley (if you think it's salad/herb) or nigella (love in a mist) to me, but there are other possibilities. I'm not sure what rue seedlings look like, but those don't look like adult rue plants.

EmNetta Fri 10-Jul-15 23:13:48

I keep a tin of seed packets, which I handed over a few weeks ago without checking exactly which packets he took, and as a beginner gardener, brother was a bit casual over labelling. He does recognise parsley, and carrots(!) I didn't have any nigella in the tin and I doubt he'd have taken anything which was just an annual, but whatever they are, they've done well, although not safe to eat without identification.

DoreenLethal Fri 10-Jul-15 23:20:18

I will have a look when i can get a better look on the compter downstairs. Could they be mizuna/mispoona/oriental salads or a type of cress? The pic i can see if cery fuzzy on here.

Methe Fri 10-Jul-15 23:22:29

The photo is terrible quality I can't even see the leaves. Can you host it and post a link?

DoreenLethal Fri 10-Jul-15 23:27:51

Actually looking again, maybe tagetes? Or brocolli raab? Do they smell brassica-mustardish? Or anything?

EmNetta Sat 11-Jul-15 09:59:38

DoreenLethal, Not anything you've mentioned (unless someone else has been donating seeds and he's forgotten), and sorry about the photo. Methe, I just don't know enough to produce the photo you mention, being fairly new to computers, but will ask brother to send another/send one here to Mumsnet.

DoreenLethal Sat 11-Jul-15 10:01:04

Looking on the main computer it looks like Tagetes. French Marigold. A better photo would help.

EmNetta Sat 11-Jul-15 10:56:21

Trying to post original photo, which is clear enough to see tiny white flowers. Having enlarged it, it's not close enough for Tagetes, I think, but thanks for good suggestion.ipad

EmNetta Sat 11-Jul-15 11:23:21

Have managed to post a photo now, but it's via a scan to desktop, and for some reason gone from landscape to portrait - I'm a newbie of course.
Brother has remembered there's a plant-identifying person on local radio, so thanks again to lovely Mumsnetters for suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now