Talk

Advanced search

A planter question

(6 Posts)
EvaBee Fri 10-Jul-15 08:43:18

Very novice gardener but I've bought some grasses (Karl Forester (sp??) and want to put them in larger planters.

I've just bought this www.johnlewis.com/artstone-ella-planters-black/p301340. The question is do I put the grasses directly in to this or do I keep them in a pot which I put in to the planter?

The planter doesn't have holes in it for drainage but it does have a sort of ledge where excess water would flow.

shovetheholly Fri 10-Jul-15 16:15:54

I am surprised there is no hole - I thought these were designed with a plug in the bottom that you take out (but that can be put in again if it gets very droughty in summer)?

If the pot doesn't have a hole, it doesn't matter whether you put the stuff in directly or if you keep it in a pot - the outer will collect water when it rains and your plants will end up with wet feet in the winter, which may possibly lead to rotting.

I would check whether there's a plug - if there is, then pop some broken crocs over it to stop it getting blocked and fill with compost and soil, then plant straight in it. If there isn't a plug, I would drill a hole in the base and then again plant in directly.

wowfudge Fri 10-Jul-15 21:33:26

I have some artstone planters and they have a drainage platform in them so excess water goes into the bottom section of the container but doesn't flow out of the container as there are no holes in the base.

Never been a problem - mine are quite shallow but have been fine. I didn't bother with crocks or broken up polystyrene in the bottom, just went straight in with the compost and plants. They don't appear to have lots of water sloshing about in the bottom and haven't dried out (despite my forgetting to water them on occasion) either.

RoganJosh Sat 11-Jul-15 08:16:46

It says in the link that there's a plug in it.

wowfudge Sat 11-Jul-15 17:22:05

Do you know - I think there were plugs in them, but they never seem to seep water like other containers do. I didn't read the link, but have some in the same range.

EvaBee Sun 12-Jul-15 10:22:18

Thanks all. I don't think I was very clear in my explanation but yes there is a plug inside on the "ledge" but there isn't drainage externally. Anyhow I've planted the grass an I'll see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now