Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy a gardening motivation thread?

(11 Posts)
dippingmytoeinagain Wed 08-Jul-15 18:42:58

I have a few jobs, well more than a few really, that I need to get done in my garden, but I never seem to get round to them. General garden maintenance seems to take over and I never get round to the bigger/harder jobs.
So I am going to try to do something in the garden every day - one maintenance type job like mowing the lawn or deadheading some plants, and one job which helps me get on with the bigger jobs.

Does anyone want to join me with this?

Today I have mowed the lawn as my maintenance job and have also emptied out a big old pot, retrieved all the bulbs for replanting and consigned the rotten old pot to the pile of stuff to go to the tip.

Tomorrow I plan to cut back some faded geraniums and also dig up some cramped, over grown primroses for replanting/rehoming.

Artistic Wed 08-Jul-15 19:42:49

Same here. Got to put some lawn feed (fgs it will be autumn by the time I stop saying it and actually do it!), 3 potted plants to put in the soil, put down some weed sheets...after de-weeding that is.longer list of big jobs...don't think I'll get there this year! hmm

aircooled Wed 08-Jul-15 20:04:21

It's a good idea to commit to opening your garden to the public - amazing how it makes you prioritize jobs that would otherwise slip down the list!

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 09-Jul-15 12:42:29

OK, I'm in! I've really pulled my finger out with my veggie garden this year (thanks to the Veggie Patch & Allotment Thread on here), so it's given me the enthusiasm I need to get more stuff done. My garden's quite big and out of control so I've got a lot today.

Today's "maintenance" job: Plant out remaining brassicas
Today's "bigger job: Start clearing some of the overgrown sections at the bottom of the garden.

I have a spreadsheet so lots of jobs for me to pick from!

dippingmytoeinagain Thu 09-Jul-15 17:24:05

Welcome all smile

artistic come back and let us know how you get on with the lawn feeding!

air oh gosh,perish the thought! 'Best weed and overgrown border' display in town...maybe next year!

cupcakes sounds like you have a lot on in the garden! Overgrown sections - sounds like my border...I am not sure where to start with it so am thinking about it grin

I have done some cutting back of hardy geraniumns. Can't believe how much foliage they have, the bin is full, as is the compost bin, and I am not yet done. Will need to get the mower out onto them to chop them down a bit. Primrose thinning is next, just taken a break to get a drink and advertise some surplus plants on a local giveaway site.

shovetheholly Fri 10-Jul-15 07:20:40

What a great idea!

My garden is ticking along fairly nicely, but I know that it could be better. To take it to the next level, I need to invest time more systematically, though - so this thread could be just what I need. Thanks for starting it!

dippingmytoeinagain Fri 10-Jul-15 10:25:20

Hello holly welcome on board smile

I've just taken delivery of a huge load of plant swops! I offered for free some of my surplus plants on a local chat forum and a lovely lady who wanted some has just turned up with a bootload of offerings from her garden - so lovely smile

I now really, really need to press on with the garden tidy up to make room for these new beauties. She's easily given me 50 quids worth of plants if I'd have bought them from the garden centre. Feeling well chuffed.

Off to dig a bit more....

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 13-Jul-15 07:28:12

<waves at holly>

Brassicas are out. Clearing the overgrown sections has begun sort of.

dipping how lovely re. your plant swap! I'm just reaching a point in my garden where I can start giving things away, rather than just taking them! It's nice to start returning favours.

Not sure I'll get much done in the garden today as it's raining. Will give it a go though!

Maintenance: Replace slug trap (apparently they don't like cider. hmm and deadhead flowers.
Big Job: Greenhouse sorting - did 2 crates of tools yesterday so would like to do the last crate today (toddler sleep permitting!)

dippingmytoeinagain Fri 17-Jul-15 11:50:08

I have not done much this past week - I tried to dig up some plants but the ground was solid. As much as I don't want rain, I need it to make progress!

Ongoing maintenance in the shape of more trimming back, but little done in the way of moving forward jobs. Grrr.

On a positive note though, I ate my first home grown tomato of the year yesterday and it was delicious!

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 20-Jul-15 08:14:37

Oh dear, I'm not being very motivated at the moment blush. We've been really busy lately but hoping to get back on track now:

Maintenance: Deadhead petunias and pick gooseberries.

Big Job: Might see if I can get hold of DH's drill and fix the catch on the gate.

dipping we're starting to get toms now (assuming I can beat DDog to them). Lovely.

shovetheholly Mon 20-Jul-15 10:32:44

My ultra-critical mother in law is visiting next weekend. My motivation to get the garden tidy has increased around 900%. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now