Talk

Advanced search

Employing a gardener

(5 Posts)
crossroads15 Wed 08-Jul-15 09:05:45

What's the best way to go about employing a gardener?

We've just bought a listed property in rural Somerset with semi-restored, potentially beautiful but currently wild gardens! We are clueless but eager to learn. The total area is about 3 acres, some of which is lawn, some orchard, some meadow but there is a large walled garden, lots of vegetable beds, a parterre (?), fruit cages, sunken rose beds, an arbour...some of these words are new to me confused. Given our incompetence we clearly need someone skilled and not just a landscaper (hubby is from a farming background and pretty good with that stuff).

Where would I find one? I'm thinking we probably need someone 3 days a week, maybe more? How much would be a reasonable hourly rate? I'm thinking about putting an advert in the local paper but am unsure what to write? Thank you!!

Ferguson Thu 09-Jul-15 23:26:21

There is a society or professional body for gardeners, so Google for that.
Late now, or I'd do it for you!

beachyhead Thu 09-Jul-15 23:29:09

I'm surprised the previous owners didn't have someone who helped. Local village chat in the nearest pub might help!!

Ferguson Fri 10-Jul-15 23:34:55

Here's a few to start you off:

www.pgg.org.uk/

www.thegardenersguild.co.uk/

www.associationofprofessionalgardeners.org/

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=465

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 15-Jul-15 17:29:37

We found ours from the fliers he'd posted on the lampposts locally - he's a gem! But we're in a small town - maybe keep your eyes open for cards or similar on village/shop notice boards?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now