Talk

Advanced search

Bushy ferns for my new border? I don't know any?

(11 Posts)
artylady14 Tue 07-Jul-15 22:33:14

Can anyone advise please on what types of bushy ferns would go in my back garden? I have a very small new build garden which I hope to make lovely. I am putting jasmine climbers up the fence and was told by my gardener to go and choose some bushy ferns for the border I am creating. I will eventually add some flowers in between too. It's a shady side of the garden. Thank you for any tips.

artylady14 Fri 10-Jul-15 23:28:10

Bump?

DoreenLethal Fri 10-Jul-15 23:29:35

Do you actually like bushy ferns?

artylady14 Sat 11-Jul-15 10:54:14

I like ferns, yes, haha! I am a new gardener DoreenLethal so open to suggestions!

Bolshybookworm Sat 11-Jul-15 11:15:00

Soooo many different ferns, I get lost. Have a look on the RHS website, they have a right plant, right place section. I have their "right plant, right place" book as well and it's really useful.

I have some lovely Matteucia (shuttle cock) ferns in my garden, but they do like it a bit damp.

Dryopteris are pretty sturdy and very attractive.

artylady14 Sun 12-Jul-15 10:54:47

Thanks bolshybookworm. I looked rounds some garden centres yesterday and there weren't many ferns about. Those ferns are lovely. I am now starting to look for other plants too as there was so little. I only have a few more days before the gardeners come to plant! I'm looking at Pieris plants now too but want to put flowers between them too and everything looks so bushy I am wondering if they will overwhelm flowers?!

Bolshybookworm Sun 12-Jul-15 11:05:20

You could get something with a bit of height to go above the ferns. Not sure what your soil is like, but things like astrantia, thalictra, dicentra (bleeding heart) and Solomon's seal will complement them.

shovetheholly Sun 12-Jul-15 16:59:21

Have a think about evergreen or deciduous, because you can get both types.

Also, it really matters about conditions, because some like wet shade while others like dry.

Also, size because they run from the tiny and delicate to the enormous.

Shuttlecock ferns are a favourite of mine. They're so much fun when they unfurl in the spring. Dryopteris are very elegant too.

This may help you: www.hardyferns.org/fern-info-culturesheets.php (scroll to the bottom for a list of factsheets on different kinds).

Bolshybookworm Sun 12-Jul-15 22:38:10

Bookmarking that link- thanks!

artylady14 Mon 13-Jul-15 19:41:31

Thanks a lot for the advice. My border is only going to be about two feet wide, the soil is clay and it's not a sunny garden.

I am so confused and there isn't much in the garden centres. It is to go between the jasmine climbers and I would like later on to add some flowers in between. I can't picture things very well! I quite liked Pieris plants too so think maybe should go with them in case the ferns are too bushy??

Bolshybookworm Mon 13-Jul-15 20:56:15

The plants I've listed are all happy in clay soils. Dicentra and Solomon's seal do well in a bit of shade too. Hellebores and heuchera would do well too. It depends what you want. Pieris is more of a shrub, and in a two foot border I wouldn't imagine you would have space for that and ferns. Maybe better to go for more shrubs? I'm not a big shrub person but there's loads out there. For a shady garden, maybe mahonia, hebe, daphne (v poisonous though), cotoneaster? I'm sure someone will have better shrub advice than me though! I have a fothergilla which is a lovely thing and slow growing. Likes it a bit acid and a bit moist. Will get it's best autumn colour if planted in full sun though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now