Talk

Advanced search

the perfect lawn?

(7 Posts)
wfrances Tue 07-Jul-15 09:59:30

any tips for the perfect lawn?
its regularly mowed (twice a week during summer)and receives plenty of sun .
But it doesnt seem to be all grass iynwim.
i have a purpley patch with tiny purple flowers, lots of daisies and patches that look like clover.
where do i start?
i have a dog, so reluctant to use chemicals .
is it worth removing it all and replacing with new turf ?
any ideas appreciated.

WiIdfire Tue 07-Jul-15 10:07:51

Fake lawn. We have had it put in and its fab. Looks great, no weeds, no mowing, very comfy to walk and sit on.

And no, it doesnt just look like astroturf!

Wotsitsareafterme Tue 07-Jul-15 10:24:30

Op describes my front lawn. I have learned to embrace it's kind of rustic look. The regular mowing keeps the dandelions sort of under control.
My back lawn is patchy and weird though despite reseeding and feeding. Ugh

HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 07-Jul-15 10:52:29

I don't mind a few weeds but moss was starting to get a hold. I used the Wilko granular feed, weed and mosskiller, using a couple of small empty flowerpots inside each other as a kind of spreader - worked well.

I'm not sure what the advice on the box is re. pets but it was a good last-ditch measure for my lawn.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 07-Jul-15 11:27:24

If anyone wants to try it I recommend spreading it fairly lightly at first. Some reviews say it turned their lawn black shock I think they may have been a bit heavy-handed on their first attempt.

I gave mine a light-to-moderate coating using the stacked flowerpot spreader method (thanks Dad). Twist the pots so that you get minimal drainage holes and the treatment will sieve through gradually, is the theory wink

You have to water it in manually if
rain's not due within 24hrs I believe. For that reason I try and coincide it with a good rain cloud grin

You can always give it a further application in a fortnight if the first treatment was a bit lacking. The feed component really does make the grass lush which covers any shrivelling weeds and dying moss.

AnulTheMagnificent Wed 08-Jul-15 22:20:25

Moss does tend to go black when it dies, I discovered this when I put moss killer on the lawn in a rented property, not long before an agents inspection.

Raking it off was the worst part,, then I seeded it and covered it with some aviary panels to keep the birds off. When we moved out it was a good grassy lawn.

Weas Wed 08-Jul-15 22:22:21

I'm with Wildfire. Fake is ace. No mowing, removing moss, sorting out strange damp bits, gaps etc. Beautiful soft grass (that you can Hoover...) Bliss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now