Talk

Advanced search

Dianthus after flowering

(3 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 06-Jul-15 15:43:24

Can anyone advise whether I should be pruning my dianthus plants back fairly hard now they've finished flowering?

I bought them from Homebase last September and they flowered through the autumn, were deadheaded then flowered again this year (I've had a good 3+ months of flowering smile).

I've deadheaded the plants thoroughly and notice they're putting on quite a lot of new, bright-green leafy growth around their base. It looks very healthy. The older growth by contrast is a darker grey-green and quite straggly. It looked fine with flowers on it but not so much now grin

I don't want to jeopardise the new growth but I'd quite like to lop the older stems off. I'm hopeful that I might get a repeat flowering this September thanks

florentina1 Mon 06-Jul-15 15:57:38

Yes now is the time to dead head, if you want you can lift them and divide them, to give them more space. A small feed and some water will help the divided bits take.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 06-Jul-15 16:54:55

Thanks florentina!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now