Talk

Advanced search

Small, affordable garden table and chairs ideas anyone?

(20 Posts)
artylady14 Sat 04-Jul-15 23:10:04

I have just had a patio put down and can't wait to get out there before the weather changes (FX, not). We are looking to buy a small garden table with four or even two chairs. Not the wrought iron look as we want something more comfortable,...but not pricey! Can anyone steer me in the right direction please! Thank you

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 04-Jul-15 23:16:28

I have a nice wooden set that I bought from Tesco 5 years ago. Table and 4 folding chairs for about £30 reduced in sale.
I've looked after it by oiling it each summer and before I put it away for the winter and it's fine.

yellowcurtains Sat 04-Jul-15 23:17:48

Ikea actually do quite nice little sets, very reasonably priced.
This one is wooden and folds up for storage.
This is painted wood, again, folds away comes in the red, or in white.
That's assuming you can get to Ikea, however, they do delivery too.
Walks actually have quite a lot of garden furniture, and everything seems reasonably priced.

yellowcurtains Sat 04-Jul-15 23:18:06

That was 'Wilkos' not walks!
DYAC

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 04-Jul-15 23:22:45

Robert Dyas sometimes have sets for reasonable amounts. Ours was bought about 4 years ago and has those mesh seated fold up chairs which are quite comfy.

thenightsky Sat 04-Jul-15 23:25:20

Harriet I fancy some wooden stuff that would require oiling, but put off by the thought that the oil may come off on clothing. How do you find this?

artylady14 Sat 04-Jul-15 23:45:15

Didn't think of some these places. I love wooden furniture but want them to have cushions too so it is comfortable to sit out on. Or those mesh folding chairs are good as they are big.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 05-Jul-15 00:45:42

thenightsky I just make sure I don't over oil it and I don't sit on it till it's all soaked in grin.
You don't need much oil. I use Teak Oil from Homebase: paint it on with a brush then rub it in well with a cloth. It's quite a nice job for a sunny day, though I do it in the shade so it doesn't dry too quickly.

wfrances Sun 05-Jul-15 08:59:22

b&q have an offer £37 for a wooden set until monday then back up to £50.

CambridgeBlue Sun 05-Jul-15 09:07:44

We got a nice set - glass table and 2 chairs - proper ones, not folding - from QD for £40 and I think I've seen the same set in Poundstretcher for a similar price.

RoganJosh Sun 05-Jul-15 09:13:24

The oil kind of dries hard. It definitely doesn't come off on clothes.

echt Sun 05-Jul-15 09:48:03

Glass tables can get mould under the glass over winter, so think of storage.

YY to oil sinking in quickly so re-oiling annually is not a chore and it doesn't come off on clothes. We have an oak bench from the UK that's 12 years' old and still in tip-top condition in Au.

Pagalee Sun 05-Jul-15 09:49:57

I've got a fold out table, 4 x chairs (they come in deck hair style or 'camping chair' style) and a parasol from Ikea. I think the whole set came to £60. Its the stripy one. They're light, canvas material and do the job.

ProfYaffle Sun 05-Jul-15 09:50:55

We bought this from Poundstretcher - there's also a 4 chair option. It's surprisingly nice for the price and the chairs are really sturdy and comfortable.

gingerbreadmam Sun 05-Jul-15 09:56:42

studio24 always have some good deals on might be worth a look on there.

thenightsky Sun 05-Jul-15 20:09:58

Homebase have a lovely set of wooden stuff... 4 chairs and a table in eucalyptus. They have sold out in my area though, bum. sad

here

flushingfreda Sun 05-Jul-15 20:16:29

We bought the wooden one from b&q that is on sale at the moment for£37. Cushions are extra £7 each but I was so impressed with it we got another set so the tables pushed together make a good size with the 4 chairs.

Applesauce29 Sun 05-Jul-15 21:53:58

I got the Worcester set from B&Q a couple of years ago (still sell it for around £50) and painted it purple - washed it down this summer and still looks great. Got some tie on cushions in turquoise to go with it this year from B&Q (£4 each). Also, I saw they have brightly coloured reclining chairs there for £12 each when I was in today - very comfy, and I would have bought some if I could have justified getting more chairs to DH - maybe if I organise a party...

artylady14 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:58:09

Thanks everyone smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 06-Jul-15 14:09:36

I have the smaller drop-leaf Applaro table from Ikea (£65) and four folding wooden chairs plus cushions (and oil) from eBay (£5!).
I gave the chairs 2-3 coats of oil (after a light sand) in the spring and they've come up beautifully. I left them a day or so between coats for the oil to fully sink in and dry.
I prefer folding sets as it gives us more space on the patio and I can put them away over winter.

One thing to consider is that (imo) the tables in these sets are sometimes on the small side, particularly the round ones! Fine for drinks, but once you add place settings, condiments, serving dishes and so on it can get a bit cramped grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now