Talk

Advanced search

tomatoes not setting fruit

(5 Posts)
pinkelephantnightclub Thu 02-Jul-15 16:31:05

any ideas? in greenhouse, plenty of flowers, no tomatoes! is my first year growing so not sure if I am doing anything wrong- thanks for any advice

shovetheholly Thu 02-Jul-15 16:53:11

Do you have the door open to allow insects in to pollinate?

It may just be early days. Mine have flowers now (but only just!) and no fruit yet. But it's only early July!

Takver Thu 02-Jul-15 17:41:03

I'd ventilate more - high temperatures can kill pollen, and perhaps try misting the flowers with a hand sprayer (but keep the humidity low in general to avoid blight.

I'd expect set flowers by now in a greenhouse unless they were sown very late - we've had the first few ripe toms this week from plants sown end Feb/early March.

Cedar03 Thu 02-Jul-15 20:57:41

Use a paint brush. (A small one). Brush each of the flowers on the plants to help pollinate them. In effect you are doing the job of the insects.

Takver Thu 02-Jul-15 21:17:42

You can just give the plants a bit of a shake even rather than bothering with a paintbrush - most toms have a fused cone of petals covering the anthers, and are self-pollinating, so it's just a case of 'tripping' them - the insects don't ever get to the pollen. My guess given the weather recently is heat, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now