Talk

Advanced search

garden arch climbers

(15 Posts)
Whimsicalgardener Mon 29-Jun-15 19:57:01

I have a plain garden arch but need some quick growing climbers that won't mind clay soil and can tolerate full sun in a south facing garden....
Any ideas? I love ivy but I hear it's too invasive ?

sunbathe Mon 29-Jun-15 20:01:15

How about

sunbathe Mon 29-Jun-15 20:02:36

honeysuckle?

Posted too soon, somehow. hmm

aircooled Mon 29-Jun-15 20:05:09

Akebia quinata will establish quickly now and have unusual chocolate-scented flowers next Spring. It's semi-evergreen so you'll have foliage in the winter.

coffeeisnectar Mon 29-Jun-15 20:07:54

Sweet peas. Ours are growing like crazy.

Whimsicalgardener Mon 29-Jun-15 20:12:51

Won't sweet peas all die off in autumn? I have loads growing from seed already...

Off to Google the other suggestions. I do have a honeysuckle ready for my trellis smile

Whimsicalgardener Mon 29-Jun-15 20:16:23

The Akebia quinata looks gorgeous . . I wonder if anywhere near me stocks it!

aircooled Mon 29-Jun-15 20:25:24

Try RHS plantfinder.

coffeeisnectar Mon 29-Jun-15 20:32:29

Sweet peas will die off but will grow again in the spring. Ours are rampant this year as is our lily which is over 6ft tall and has 9 buds on it. Everything seems to be growing well this year, our plum tree is full of fruit which no doubt the bloody squirrels will eat again and the strawberries are on steroids grin

Whimsicalgardener Tue 30-Jun-15 06:02:25

Coffee, your garden sounds wonderful. Well done!

coffeeisnectar Tue 30-Jun-15 08:19:05

Thank you, we are very much a 'plant it and leave' type. It's got loads of wild flowers popping up, especially round the pond but it looks nice so I'm not fussed that they are weeds. I'm not a great gardener and our garden is tiny so lots of pots and creative planting but it's lovely right now.

My parents garden is stunning. I'm very jealous!

Whimsicalgardener Tue 30-Jun-15 21:02:45

Can we see some pictures coffee? I might start a thread for photos...would love some inspiration....

SaulGood Tue 30-Jun-15 21:08:55

Our garden is remarkable atm. I'm a plant and leave it type and we have some beautiful colour. Lilies, fuchsias, lupins, astilbe, aquilegia, poppies, gladioli, hyacinth, hollyhocks, antirrhinum, primroses, roses, buddleia, fruit trees. All stunning. I'm not sure how it's happened tbh. The lilies I didn't plant. We moved in to a garden you couldn't even access. It was full of thistles and brambles. We found 3 lilies underneath it all and there are currently over 30 heads, all just opening.

Sorry, am thread crashing as we have an arch that went in yesterday. DD wants climbing roses but I want something quicker and possibly, denser so lurking for ideas!

coffeeisnectar Tue 30-Jun-15 22:51:21

I will take some pics and post over the next few days, got lots of school stuff and hospital appointments in next couple of days plus we hit the beach straight from school while weather is so nice!! But I promise I will as long as you promise to ignore kids clutter, bikes, scooters and weeds!!

Whimsicalgardener Thu 02-Jul-15 05:36:09

Sounds beautiful, Saul! I'm very jealous.....
Do you have photos too?

Coffee, I can ignore all that, it will still look better than my barren garden smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now