Talk

Advanced search

climbing plants in hanging baskets?

(3 Posts)
anon33 Mon 29-Jun-15 08:58:06

I know that sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but read about clematis in a hanging basket and like the idea. However as a novice I don't want to spend good money on a plant and it won't work. Has anyone tried this? Did it grow long? Is gravity enough to make the plant grow (down)?

Ferguson Mon 29-Jun-15 20:04:56

Most clematis have a very limited flowering and growing period I would have thought, so you probably need to investigate that aspect first.

I think there is a Clematis society for dedicated enthusiasts - Oh yes, I DID bookmark it! So ask them:

www.britishclematis.org.uk/

shovetheholly Tue 30-Jun-15 09:17:30

Many climbing plants will flop if not tied in. However, the effect isn't usually very attractive, and you risk getting stems broken etc. Some of the tiny wee plants that are popular for hanging baskets sort of scramble upwards a bit, but that's quite different from true big climbers.

Why not use trailing plants instead? There are loads! Including trailing clematis (aromatica).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now