Talk

Advanced search

Woolley aphid on elderly apple trees

(4 Posts)
didireallysaythat Sat 27-Jun-15 23:23:20

I think we've got Woolley aphid on one of our old apples trees. Do I need to do something or just accept it ? I'd like to keep the tress, plus its 5 neighbours...

PurpleWithRed Sat 27-Jun-15 23:27:16

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=724 RHS says scrub it off...

didireallysaythat Sun 28-Jun-15 07:25:30

That's sort of what I feared and akas it's impractical as I'd need ladders/scaffolding to check all the trees. But I can do a few buts using s step ladder. Is there anyway to protect a neighbouring newly planted plum tree ?

And if I do nothing, what will happen ? The apple tree isn't useful (it's a variety that drops its apples before they are ripe and they don't store). The tress are left over from an orchard and are probably 25+ years old - I don't want to lose them on my watch !

aircooled Sun 28-Jun-15 12:27:33

Some pruning might remove some of the areas on the tree where the aphids are overwintering and might promote new growth on an old tree. Definitely try and preserve the tree - I have several old fruit trees in my garden and they add such character as well as being part of the history of the place.

It's so sad when you see roads on new housing developments called 'Bramley Way' or 'Pippin Close' - you just know that an old orchard has been grubbed up and built over. I know new housing is needed but... (Sorry, going a bit off-topic here).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now