Talk

Advanced search

What plant is this and how do I look after it?

(7 Posts)
TheCrowFromBelow Sat 27-Jun-15 18:00:42

Just that really, please see the photo- it grows in clumps and is about 6ft tall. I like it but there's slot of it!
I'm not very good at gardening... All help gratefully received!

Ferguson Sat 27-Jun-15 20:08:21

We used to have one; don't know the name, but I think it just looks after itself!

It can get quite big, but can be cut back to control it I think. I'll come back if I can find the name.

RubySparks Sat 27-Jun-15 20:14:05

It's a shrubs called leycesteria, I would cut it back after it has flowered as yes it will get quite big!

aircooled Sat 27-Jun-15 20:16:38

Looks like pheasant berry, Leycesteria. Can't decide whether I like this shrub, I've never had one in my garden. I believe it's tough/ indestructible.

Ferguson Sat 27-Jun-15 23:06:47

Yes - others beaten me to it; leycesteria formosa, 'pheasant berry'. There is also a golden form of it.

TheCrowFromBelow Sun 28-Jun-15 12:14:31

That's brilliant! Thank you all! I've googled it and it's also called "purple rain".

I'm going to sing Prince every time I look at it from now on, still at least I know what it's called...

Hexiegone Sun 28-Jun-15 12:17:31

If you don't cut it back after it's flowered the blackbirds will love the berries. You could cut it back later in the winter once they're all finished. Having said that it does seed quite easily but the seedlings are easy enough to dig up before they get too big.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now