Talk

Advanced search

Clover/grass lawn - have you got one?

(19 Posts)
SkodaLabia Sat 27-Jun-15 14:29:18

For an informal garden, definitely no mowing stripes required!

Looking at grass seed options when I came across a mix that is grass and clover. I thought clover was normally a weed in a lawn, but I like the idea that it needs less water than grass. A good idea, or am I missing something?

HagOtheNorth Sat 27-Jun-15 14:34:10

Don't ask me, my lawn has grass, red and white clover, daisies and buttercups, vetch and selfheal, speedwell and bursts of scarlet pimpernel.
Dad see a massive weedpatch, I see a green barren patch recolonised and alive with bumbles and butterflies and multiple small insects all stuffed to the gunnels and happy.

Frusso Sat 27-Jun-15 14:34:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frusso Sat 27-Jun-15 14:39:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Qwebec Sun 28-Jun-15 04:15:47

Before, it was the usual mix. Clover withstands drought better and because it fixes nitrogen in the ground it lessens the need for fertilisers. In addition, because it is not a monoculture pests and deseases have less impact. From what I have heard, when they introduced herbicides they were able to make them safe for grass but not clover so it was classed as a weed.

If its a look you like go for it. I only sow clover, much less work involved and softer for the feet. But, clover tends to be a bit tricker to confine than grass. If you have a flower bead a buried plastic border won't be enough.

SkodaLabia Sun 28-Jun-15 08:26:20

Ah, right. So I'd need brick edging to the lawn, would you say? I haven't yet decided on the lawn edging but as we're on a tight budget I'm not sure we can stretch to cobbles etc. Definitely want an edge of some sort, trying to get cut grass off a gravel path in the last house gave me The Rage.

PlainHunting Sun 28-Jun-15 12:29:43

Mine has clover in it because dh bought the wrong seed. The clover is supposed to be good for the ground. I'm not keen on the look as it always looks like it needs mowing within 24 hours of mowing.

exWifebeginsat40 Sun 28-Jun-15 12:39:10

and it will be full of bees. I am resentful of clover lawns after being stung treading on a bee.

so yeah. bees.

Qwebec Sun 28-Jun-15 21:45:52

I made my borders with stones I dug up in my yard or that people were giving for free on the web. One of those days I'll fill the gaps with mortar.

shovetheholly Mon 29-Jun-15 08:43:43

I would love to have clover in my lawn, but it will not grow in my part of the world. It looks beautiful and is tremendously ecofriendly - good for pollinators!

I cannot bear those manicured green lawns. I realise they take time and a lot of skill to achieve, but I can't get past the Hyacinth Bucketness of them.

SkodaLabia Mon 29-Jun-15 10:09:55

Qwebec, that's a brilliant idea about using the stones that you've dug up, my garden is full of building rubble so there's plenty of stone/lumps of cement/breeze blocks lying about. Not sure I'd have enough but I could ask on Freecycle too.
holly, I don't mind a bog standard green grass lawn, but I can't bear a striped lawn with skinny borders of pansies round the edge!

TheSpottedZebra Mon 29-Jun-15 13:11:14

Wow, you can buy lawns with clover in? My lawns are full of it, and I just thought that they were a bit shit. Now I shall consider them a feature. It is really really springy, and the dc like to jump on the clovery bits.

SkodaLabia Mon 29-Jun-15 14:18:54

Yes! You can buy a grass/clover mix.

shovetheholly Mon 29-Jun-15 14:23:29

I think it's coming in more and more, because clover's so much more drought-resistant when scattered through a lawn at intervals. It also fixes nitrogen, so you won't need to apply fertiliser! Plus, aesthetically, I have hopes we're moving away from that 1970s love of the monoculture lawn - I'm with you Skoda on the carpet bedding and lawn combo!!

Finola1step Mon 29-Jun-15 14:23:56

Grass/Clover seed mix? Who knee?

I will now look at my lawn in a different light. As if the clover is deliberately there, my little way of supporting the environment.

SkodaLabia Mon 29-Jun-15 14:44:05

I'm getting into the idea of it now! It's a bit more expensive that bog standard grass seed, but not much.

AnulTheMagnificent Wed 08-Jul-15 15:07:17

I am wondering about this too, after trying to clear a selection of weeds and failing. I have a patch of buttercups, patch of daisies, a patch of clover and some little purple things, so am thinking of giving up and letting them grow, unless anyone can suggest a remedy.

I fed the lawn last year to try to encourage the grass to grow and push out the weeds but although initially it was better, they are coming back.

And moss, and bare bits under trees.

Oldraver Sat 11-Jul-15 22:12:50

Oh I didnt know you could get seed with clover,...is it red or white ?

I have white clover naturally and let it grow, I'd heard red clover is liked by bees

PlainHunting Sat 11-Jul-15 22:23:53

Mine is just white clover. It seems to be very popular with bees. I have been stung once already this summer,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now