Talk

Advanced search

NE facing garden, what to grow up fence?

(6 Posts)
BangingTheDrums Wed 24-Jun-15 06:35:07

Our soil is poor (new build rubble plus turf special), but rosemary and lavender thrive. It's a small NE facing garden, and one fence gets lots of evening sun. I want to dig a flowerbed along it, add some compost and grow things up it. What do you think would work?

shovetheholly Wed 24-Jun-15 08:56:01

Clematis montana will cover it in about 5 seconds flat! For something more structured, climbing hydrangea?

BangingTheDrums Wed 24-Jun-15 09:08:31

Speedy is good! I have a 15ft length - do I get a few plants? Sorry to be so clueless and thanks for the help!

shovetheholly Wed 24-Jun-15 09:13:05

I would get a few, just so you get a load of lovely variety and things clambering through each other. The downside of that is that you may have to act as the Plant Police, making sure they don't strangle each other to death.

It's worth thinking about an evergreen climber, too, so you don't have it all bare in the winter. Clematis armandii?

I have a similar section in my garden behind my greenhouse (so it is sheltered). I have about 5 climbers: solanum, passiflora, jasmine, clematis armandii and wisteria (the last tends to like a lot of sun so it's a bit of an experiment). You can buy cheap climbers in spring and sometimes autumn in Aldi for about £1.79, so you don't have to spend £££££ to get it covered.

florentina1 Wed 24-Jun-15 09:48:40

Pyracantha, Boston ivy and Virginia creeper all do well in my NE corner. Lovely colours in the autum and berries. Very attractive for the birds. Also Cornus, I have the ordinary boring red one but have a lovely one called mid winter fire under planted with Adjura and the black grass Strepa somethingor other.

I saw this at a garden , where the Cornus looked just like a flame coming out of black coals.

florentina1 Wed 24-Jun-15 09:59:26

Black plants I mean are AJuga which produces beautiful deep blue spikes of flowers, and spreads really quickly .. The black grass is Ophipogon, I think. Anglesey Abbey in Cambridge has an amazing winter garden, we visited in January and could not believe the colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now