Talk

Advanced search

How to incorporate grasses into garden?

(6 Posts)
SkodaLabia Tue 23-Jun-15 21:42:42

I'm creating a garden from scratch but on a v small budget so I'm keen to use what I've got lying about. I have a few grasses in pots that I love but am losing confidence that I know what to do with them.

Will they look weird plonked in among lavender and honeysuckle? I love grasses but I love flowers more so don't want to do a solely grass garden. Plus I don't want to waste what I've brought some the previous house.

So far I have broom, honeysuckle, jasmine, foxgloves, lavender, pyracantha, coleanthus, an apple tree, some fledgling buddleia globolus (sp) and these grasses.

Any ideas?

Stopanuary Tue 23-Jun-15 21:48:37

Have a look at

www.crocus.co.uk/features/_/articleid.1007/

And

www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardenprojects/3303880/Home-on-the-range.html

SkodaLabia Tue 23-Jun-15 21:56:07

Mumsnet is brill. smile

I love that photo in the crocus link. Didn't realise that chucking some grasses in with other stuff is called prairie style. grin The other article sums up my fear that unless I get it right it could look odd.

Ferguson Fri 26-Jun-15 23:18:51

Oh yes! Prairie Style is one of the latest things, so you will be right in fashion! A good example in Gardeners World tonight.

If it doesn't work, stick them back in big pots and have a rethink.

DoreenLethal Fri 26-Jun-15 23:21:47

Prairie style has been in for about 10 years. We have grasses dotted about in amongst the acer, hellebores, lavender, fennel, yada yada yada.

SkodaLabia Sat 27-Jun-15 07:17:25

It seems the key is to put them in with other things of a similar structure, ie not pansies and trailing lobelia. I bought them when we first moved to our house as it's coastal and there's lots of coastal planting in our area. I had in mind a gravelly spiky sort of garden.

Then I remembered I like a bursting full of colour and greenery sort of garden. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now