Talk

Advanced search

Help make a garden even more relentlessly gay!

(13 Posts)
shovetheholly Thu 18-Jun-15 14:17:12

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/woman-criticised-by-christian-neighbours-for-having-a-relentlessly-gay-garden-is-crowdfunding-to-make-her-house-even-gayer-10328310.html

Basically, a horrible neighbour left a note for this poor woman (widow, mother of 4), asking her to tone down her 'relentlessly gay' garden and threatening to call the police if she did not. All this over some coloured lights.

She has responded with aplomb, starting a crowdfunding campaign to 'buy more rainbows'. grin

Gofundme link here: www.gofundme.com/x6dkw9h

WixingMords Thu 18-Jun-15 14:20:22

Relentlessly gay?

<snorts>

Laquila Thu 18-Jun-15 14:21:13

WTAF??! That's is at once the funniest and saddest thing I've heard in a while. Of all the things in life to get worked up about...And how bloody annoying that the neighbour tars all Christians with the brush, ugh.

WixingMords Thu 18-Jun-15 14:25:53

Actually your right Laquilla, whilst it does seem a hilarious thing to say it is actually sad.

I take back my snort!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 18-Jun-15 14:26:44

Oh how shocking!

Someone has rainbow coloured fairy lights in an area "with children" shock.

Those poor children are going to be so damaged!! hmm

It's time for the neighbours to stop being relentlessly cuntish.

Laquila Thu 18-Jun-15 14:29:50

Well Wixing we can't deny the brilliance of the phrase "relentlessly gay", but seriously, don't people have anything better to moan about?! I'd like to think this could only happen in America but actually I don't think that's true at all...

PinkSquash Thu 18-Jun-15 14:33:29

I was sent this, this morning and it keeps making me laugh when I think about it. It's such overkill for a few lights to be called 'relentlessly gay'.

shovetheholly Thu 18-Jun-15 15:04:16

It is hideous that people can be like that. I love her response, though: "I am a widow and the mother of four children, my youngest in high school and I WILL NOT Relent to Hatred. Instead, I will battle it with whimsy and beauty and laughter and love, wrapped around my home, yard and family!"

aircooled Thu 18-Jun-15 19:25:02

Maybe I could lend her a book I found in a second-hand bookshop - 'Gay Gardening from Seed.' It's a classic!

funnyperson Fri 19-Jun-15 02:46:19

Bizarre. I like the coloured jars, can't see the harm in it at all. Good idea.
I'm not sure why the lady needs money to be donated though, unless the neighbours are prosecuting her for some strange reason, or simply to help with bringing up the children.
It is awful to have seriously nasty interfering neighbours. I think she has done the right thing to publicise the anonymous note, because otherwise the neighbours might continue to harass her and her children.

shovetheholly Fri 19-Jun-15 08:05:35

I think it's one of those social media things that's just taken off. People donate just to show some support - one of the many upsurges of random, unpredictable kindness that counterbalance the bad sides of the internet. I can see how it might be a headache for established charities, but on the other hand, I do think there's something lovely about the reaching-out that happens in these cases, and the personal nature of giving.

My guess/hope is that she'll find something to do with the $30,000 (and rising!) that isn't entirely personal!!

CuttedUpPear Fri 19-Jun-15 08:09:23

I can see Relentlessly Gay really taking off as the next style genre.
Hold onto your hats, Chelsea!

Floundering Fri 19-Jun-15 08:21:26

"Will no -one think of the children" ?!!!! < clutches pearls> grin

If the bloody neighbour had kept her ridiculous mouth shut kids would probably just have enjoyed the pretty lights for what they are.

I just hope that this woman doesn't make herself a target for all the anti gay bible bashers by upping the rainbow decorations but good luck to her I look forward to more pretty pics!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now