Talk

Advanced search

new pond

(12 Posts)
bikeandrun Thu 18-Jun-15 08:22:54

We have just restored an old pond in our garden, it is about 2m by 1 m in a sort of kidney shape, about 2 ft deep in the middle. Have seen a few newts and frogs and want to encourage them. Would like a few fish possibly. Don't want to spend too much money and have no knowledge of water gardening, where do I start. It has a plastic liner and has had water in for about 4 days. Help!

shovetheholly Thu 18-Jun-15 09:16:45

Aquatic creatures tend not to like tap water, so it'll be a time before it settles down and becomes a suitable environment. Animals like frogs and newts will find it, though!

You could think about some planting to provide cover and habitat, and a ledge so that any wildlife that falls in can climb back out again.

bikeandrun Thu 18-Jun-15 09:21:24

How long do I wait before I start planting?

echt Thu 18-Jun-15 09:44:30

You can get water neutraliser from aquarium shops that will do the trick.
Put in some oxygenating plants but ensure they don't cover more than 70% of the surface. Ever. I planted straight away, keeping the plants in pots and on bricks for the appropriate level.

Give your newts, etc. somewhere to hide - submerged pipes.

Fish might eat your tadpoles next year, so think on.

You may need to net the pond to stop predators. I have a half barrel container pond with a rigid black mesh over to that blends in nicely and stops the cat from killing the goldfish. It does not prevent the sodding possums from chowing down on the plants. Gits.

HouseAtreides Thu 18-Jun-15 10:50:19

If you want goldfish they will eat the frogspawn/tadpoles/newt eggs etc, so it's generally an either/or choice. A wildlife pond with no fish is less maintenance and, in my opinion, more interesting (and I love fish!)
Second the poster who said you need either a ledge or a slope so anything that falls in can get out. I had to fish three dead hedgehogs out of the poorly designed school pond in one go a few years ago sad
Shade plants are needed otherwise algae flourish. Having plants all round the pond gives wildlife places to hide and live.
I have four small ponds and want to put another in, the kids love all the frogs and the amount of wildlife that is attracted in by them is incredible. smile

HouseAtreides Thu 18-Jun-15 10:51:32

You can put plants in straight away, they will help to make the water habitable.

EauRouge Thu 18-Jun-15 12:08:37

If you're on a budget, buy a bag of watercress from the salad chiller at the supermarket. Bung it in a tray of water on a windowsill and then after a few days when it has roots you can plant it in the shallow parts of the pond. It's native so good for wildlife too.

You could try your local gardening club to see if anyone has any irises. Mine grow like crazy and I'm always trying to fob them off thoughtfully gift some to other gardeners.

Adarajames Fri 19-Jun-15 00:31:30

Just be careful if you get plants from friends etc that you dont introduce problems into your pond like diseases or invasive plants. I've gotten t the kit to put a pond in my garden which I'm really looking forward too, but have to wait for another winter before I can move the plum tree I heeled in ages ago once it's dormant again blush

bikeandrun Fri 19-Jun-15 06:53:32

Thanks everyone,have got a few plants from the garden centre, still looks very bare, hopefully they will spread as I can't afford to buy any more, will try the watercress !

bowsaw Mon 29-Jun-15 16:57:14

avoid fish, they are very messy and will spoil what sounds like an ideal wildlife pond, create a shallow are for birds to drink and bath and in spring this warmer are will be filled with tadpoles

Notgrumpyjustquiet Mon 06-Jul-15 17:16:01

Whatever pond plants you buy, have a look and make sure you choose clumps with water snails attached to them, they breed like mad and will keep the algae down.

Digging a pond is my number 1 task as soon as I've nagged incentivised DP to clear enough undergrowth done it my fucking self to make room for one.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 06-Jul-15 17:32:04

I'd be really interested in making (at least one) mini-pond/ half barrel wildlife pond. I think I have the space and the right conditions. Feeling inspired, off to do some research!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now