Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this pls

(8 Posts)
flushingfreda Tue 16-Jun-15 20:36:29

Hi posting on behalf of my allotment neighbour. This plant/ weed has appeared on her plot and she would love to know what it is I'm sure it's a weed but maybe I'm wrong.

lk26 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:39:59

I think it could be a type of euphorbia. ?? I have them in my garden too. Should really know as I'm a gardener blush

wowfudge Tue 16-Jun-15 22:39:35

It's caper spurge - someone else asked about it a couple of weeks ago and I knew I'd seen it before!

shovetheholly Wed 17-Jun-15 08:17:32

Handle with care - it's quite poisonous and will irritate your skin if you break stems! Those are not the capers that you buy in jars from the supermarket, either - you don't want to eat them.

Ferguson Sat 20-Jun-15 23:13:44

Yes, caper spurge; but it's not a weed, and can be cultivated:

www.seedaholic.com/euphorbia-lathyris.html

flushingfreda Sat 20-Jun-15 23:16:25

Thanks for the replies I will pass it on.

trufflehunterthebadger Sun 21-Jun-15 06:29:12

I had some of this is my garden, thought it was ugly and removed it. Then i saw it in use in a couple of open gardens and wished i hadn't !

Blackpuddingbertha Sun 21-Jun-15 22:10:28

I had one come up in my flower bed last year. I kept it as it's a very statuesque plant. This year I have two in the bed, I was expecting to have to weed out more but it hasn't self-seeded too prolifically. Will definitely be keeping a plant or two each year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now