Talk

Advanced search

Black Aphids - organic or chemical pesticide?

(6 Posts)
Wiggletastic Tue 16-Jun-15 18:15:58

I have a young Hazel tree, about four years old, and all the new leaves have been infested with black aphids this summer (never happened before) - is there any way to get rid of them organically or should I resort to chemicals?

thetroubleis Tue 16-Jun-15 18:17:26

We had a problem with greenfly and bought some ladybird larvae and a ladybird house- they were gone in a week- id give that a try.

shovetheholly Wed 17-Jun-15 08:14:36

Do you have a hose? You could try just putting it on the jet setting and blasting them off. Failing that, you can try a soap and water mix (Ecover washing up liquid and water) or neem oil - though you have to be careful to target only the aphids with them. Both of those, and the ladybird suggestion above, will be much better for your garden than using insecticide, which may decimate really beneficial insects too.

Wiggletastic Wed 17-Jun-15 08:28:22

Thanks, I will try the hose and then the soapy mixture. Its a lovely tree that I got when our daughter was a baby so its grown up with her, I don't want to lose it.

shovetheholly Wed 17-Jun-15 09:03:16

This may help! www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6EIdFfhrFA

I would love to know how you get on! Do report back smile

Wiggletastic Wed 17-Jun-15 12:18:30

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought about looking on youtube. I am off out with my jet spray and some soapy liquid now to give it a go, I will report back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now