Talk

Advanced search

How do you kill a Buddleia?

(16 Posts)
SecondMrsAshwell Mon 15-Jun-15 14:11:01

I have a Buddleia growing at the front of my house. It wasn't planted, it's growing wild and, if I don't do something, it will grow into a bush that will crack my foundations. What can I do to kill it? I didn't notice it till it was already established, the stem is prob about 3/4 inch thick.

I have 2 in my back garden to keep the butterflies happy, so this one has to go.

Thanks

shovetheholly Mon 15-Jun-15 14:29:25

They aren't that difficult to get rid of when they are fairly small - can you not just dig it up? confused Or is it huuuuuge?

SecondMrsAshwell Mon 15-Jun-15 14:36:26

I'm going to have a crack at digging it up, but if that doesn't work, I want to know what to do. I fear that I might leave some of the root behind/not be able to get it all out.

Moln Mon 15-Jun-15 14:40:27

You'll have to dig it. They aren't easy to get rid if otherwise. Even if you cut it right down they grow back

If you get the root ball out I don't think the end roots will grow. But you could apply root killer if in doubt.

SecondMrsAshwell Mon 15-Jun-15 14:44:14

Root killer? Yes, that sounds like the very stuff I need. I'm not keen on weed killer - too many cats around.

Sitdownandshutup Mon 15-Jun-15 14:46:29

Eugh we had a HUGE one in our old back garden that someone had planted.

We sawed all of the branches off and got the trunk down to about six inches- couldn't get it down any further. There is absolutely no way on this earth we could have dug it out- the trunk was really thick and the roots went down and down.

We drilled a hole down the middle of the trunk and poured Jeyes fluid into it. Then we covered the stump with a polythene bag and left it for a couple of months until we took the bag off.

The stump was still there but it didn't grow back at all. In fact, loads of other lovely flowers grew around the stump- the buddliea must have been sapping all of their nutrients.

Good luck smile

onedogatoddlerandababy Mon 15-Jun-15 14:54:25

Ah sitdown has said what I was going to, drill into it and pour root killer (I've used round up before) and then covered with plastic bags and elastic bands to secure.

Aside from that, I have a buddliea by the corner of my house, not planted, just grew by itself (are you me wink) but I was told by a gardener that it was ok and wasn't going to ravage my foundations...do I need to kill it asap??shock

SecondMrsAshwell Mon 15-Jun-15 15:52:47

I could be you onedog but I'll have to be onecat instead.

Thanks all, I'll give the root killer a go.

I've been worried it will play merry hell with my foundations, but it's just occurred to me that if left unchecked, it will block the passage up the side of the house, which is our only way out if there's a fire.

funnyperson Mon 15-Jun-15 15:59:51

With difficulty
It will grow
Dig up as much as you can and use killer stuff to kill it whilst making sure that killer stuff doesnt get into your drains and kill the fish in the sea etc

ChishandFips33 Mon 15-Jun-15 18:38:33

Give it to me - champion plant killer!

SugarPlumTree Mon 15-Jun-15 18:42:36

We killed a huge one in a similar way to Sitdown.

Chishandfips grin

SecondMrsAshwell Tue 16-Jun-15 09:42:28

Chishandfips well, I'll have to have you round to tea then, clearly. I have a foxglove that thinks it's a triffid - it needs teaching a lesson.

Normally, I have black fingers, I help my BF with a plant stall a couple of times a year and my job is to hold out the bag and take the money.... don't TOUCH the plants! I just say "brown end down, green end up." That is the limit of my skill in the garden!

Maybe between us we can get it sorted.

storybrooke Tue 16-Jun-15 12:08:08

If you want something a little less chemical ridden you can do the same with salt, we cut back a huge tree/climber thing with huge roots and drilled a hole, filled with salt and a little water and covered. smile

SecondMrsAshwell Tue 16-Jun-15 17:30:32

I may give the salt a go first - I don't want the cats getting hurt.

ChishandFips33 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:23:10

Let me know when! Just tell the plants in advance I'm coming and they'll start to wilt immediately

I've been growing a new/young honeysuckle except it's a weed that kinda looked like one!!

Qwebec Tue 23-Jun-15 16:20:22

Salt would probably work but you need to be sure you don't want to grow anything else there. Salt contaminated soil is lethal for nearly all plants.

I'm jealous I'd love one but they are not hardy here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now